heat shield vs wall thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manooti

Dec 20, 2015
PA
I defintely screwed up. The heatshield I fabbed up made the wall thimble so short that the 18x18 cover wont go on. And either the thimble or the wall is off by 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Its in on top.

used the metal tracks instead if the ceramic spacers and thats what did it.

I was thinking of using flat sheet metal, trace the old one and cut it out to fit then bbq paint it flat black.

Still have to grout and edge it.

I was in a rush to put it up before my daughters 1st birthday. Didnt dry fit it ☹️

Any ideas?

heat shield vs wall thimble heat shield vs wall thimble

Maybe just drill out the cover and screw it to the wall shield or silicone it in place?

Maybe just drill out the cover and screw it to the wall shield or silicone it in place?

thanks for the advice. i found some backsplash stuff that has a heat temp of 140. cut out circle and slapped it on

Still putting the trim around all the edges. Have the outlets to do also. Made them a tad larger so I can grab the wires easier and use those multi outlet things (whatever theyre called) that plug in.

Attachments

• heat shield vs wall thimble
    image.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 126
  • heat shield vs wall thimble
    image.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.