Heat shield with blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TaraandSal

Jan 18, 2012
southern Ct
Anyone use a heat shield with blower for a free standing stove. Our jotul is infront of the fireplace, we want to stop the heat loss from the back and encourage circulation.

Welcome to the forum TaraandSal.

We don't have a blower and over the years we had only 2 stoves with blowers and did not like them. However, some stoves need them. A heat shield on the rear definitely helps. We had taken ours off at one point and was amazed how much heat went behind the stove. Much better with it on.

In addition to a rear shield and a blower, a block-off plate at the lintel level can stop heat from being trapped in the damper smoke bell.

I have a built in rear heat shield on my T-5 and have the blower.. It works very well and is quiet and would not be without one.. My old CDW had a blower and it was quite noisy but used it anyways.. I don't think I would want a radiant only stove as the heat is too intense for me..

Ray

My Lopi Liberty came standard with side & rear heat shields, and I ordered it with the optional blower kit when I had the stove installed back in 2007. I love it. The heat shields are effective in developing natural convection around the outside of the firebox to help distribute the stove's heat, and the blower is very effective at providing forced convection of air from beneath the stove up and out through ports below the top plate of the upper shelf. The blower speed is infinitely controllable between its minimum and maximum, and I can shut it off anytime I want. In the lower speed range of operation, it's barely noticeable noise-wise...while being very noticeable in moving heat from the stove out into the room. My dining room table is just about 9' from the stove, and there's no problem whatever carrying on a perfectly normal conversation at the table while the stove is burning and the blower running nice and slow. It's neither distracting nor irritating...just a quiet white-noise sort of barely audible hum that fades into the background and is ignored. Other blowers may not be as "hearing-friendly" as mine, I dunno. Rick

Attachments

• Heat shield with blower
    lopi.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 275
fossil said:
My Lopi Liberty came standard with side & rear heat shields, and I ordered it with the optional blower kit when I had the stove installed back in 2007. I love it. The heat shields are effective in developing natural convection around the outside of the firebox to help distribute the stove's heat, and the blower is very effective at providing forced convection of air from beneath the stove up and out through ports below the top plate of the upper shelf. The blower speed is infinitely controllable between its minimum and maximum, and I can shut it off anytime I want. In the lower speed range of operation, it's barely noticeable noise-wise...while being very noticeable in moving heat from the stove out into the room. My dining room table is just about 9' from the stove, and there's no problem whatever carrying on a perfectly normal conversation at the table while the stove is burning and the blower running nice and slow. It's neither distracting nor irritating...just a quiet white-noise sort of barely audible hum that fades into the background and is ignored. Other blowers may not be as "hearing-friendly" as mine, I dunno. Rick

+1 Your Lopi experience is similar to my T-5 experience.. My brother and sister-in-law have 2 Lopi's running in NH and love them sans blowers..

Ray

One of my main concerns with getting the Mansfield was that the blower from the Homestead would work with it. I am bending up my own heat shield, since in my case it is just a "plenum", and not needed or used as an actuall "heat shield" for CtC. We ran the blower with the Homestead always, it's not as loud as the dishwasher, dryer, etc. all of which can be heard in the living room.

i ordered the blower with my summit.....helps circulate the air through the whole house, in my opinion. as mentioned earlier, if its in front of the fireplace, and you can get something behind there, a block off plate will help for sure.

cass

Status
Not open for further replies.