Heatform fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GaGirl1984

Oct 16, 2023
Georgia
Our house was built in 1975 and we have Heatform fireplaces both upstairs and in the basement. The blowers still work and the liners are in good condition. There are gas lighter wells (?) In the bottom of each insert. The upstairs has an ash dump with an external door, but oddly, downstairs does not. I would like to install gas logs in both (not a fan of dealing with wood and ash). Can I install ventless or should they be vented, or should I have both? And can the current gas lighter be converted?

20231016_200247.jpg 20231016_200116.jpg 20231016_200155.jpg 20231016_200256.jpg

Yes you can have gas logs installed. I will always strongly recommend log sets vented to outside rather than room vented.

And no the log lighters can't be converted. The gas line may be able to be reused though

Wouldn't the carbon monoxide fumes get pulled into the basement, too, just like the smoke? I was thinking ventless would be safer.

Wouldn't the carbon monoxide fumes get pulled into the basement, too, just like the smoke? I was thinking ventless would be safer.
Well with ventless those fumes will absolutely be put into the house.

We have a heatform fireplace and would like to install a woodburning insert. I would like to know if if it would be okay to cover the vents since we will be not needing them with the new insert.

Reactions: Kanabkelly