Heathstone I and II btu rating?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireWalker

Feeling the Heat
Aug 7, 2008
Lake George
Back in the late 80's, the previous owner of my home had for a few years a Hearthstone (not sure if it was a I or II model) wood stove installed. He told me it did a great job unitl the temp went below 0. He also told me he went thru a ton of wood, much more than I have ever burned with my Dutchwest XL.

My Equinox will be here Thursday and I want to have a comparison between the output of the older Hearthstone units and my new one.

Anyone here have an owners manual or spec sheet on these older units?

FireWalker said:
Back in the late 80's, the previous owner of my home had for a few years a Hearthstone (not sure if it was a I or II model) wood stove installed. He told me it did a great job unitl the temp went below 0. He also told me he went thru a ton of wood, much more than I have ever burned with my Dutchwest XL.

My Equinox will be here Thursday and I want to have a comparison between the output of the older Hearthstone units and my new one.

Anyone here have an owners manual or spec sheet on these older units?
Hey Firewalker, my cousin had the old Heartstone I stove in his ski lodge in Maine.I don't know what your previous owner is talking about.The Hearthstone I was a killer of a stove.A huge monstousity that ran us out of the lodge when it was either 1 or 5 degrees below zero outside.We went out on the porch with our sweat shirts on just to cool off which didn't take long.That stove gave off heat all night,we slept with no covers.I had the old Hearthstone II which was a wood/coal burner which gave off excellant heat and would burn 17 hours with coal.The Equinox with it's new technology should be at least the equal of the old Hearthstone I.

I would think the new stove would put those older units to shame. I was just curious with regard to heat output. The only real test will happen all by itself sometime in January. I ask because all things being equal, same house, same chimney, same stove location, same fuel (he said seasoned hardwood only), similar stove, sounded as though the guy wanted more heat and that old stove was not up to the task. As is the case many other things in this house (previous owner was the builder) I would not be suprised to know the stove he was using was used and not working properly because the amount of wood he said he used is huge. He told me he filled the carport which measured 12' x 34' or 12 full cord assuming 4' stacks. I use somewhere around 5 with the Dutchwest XL.

FireWalker said:
I would think the new stove would put those older units to shame. I was just curious with regard to heat output. The only real test will happen all by itself sometime in January. I ask because all things being equal, same house, same chimney, same stove location, same fuel (he said seasoned hardwood only), similar stove, sounded as though the guy wanted more heat and that old stove was not up to the task. As is the case many other things in this house (previous owner was the builder) I would not be suprised to know the stove he was using was used and not working properly because the amount of wood he said he used is huge. He told me he filled the carport which measured 12' x 34' or 12 full cord assuming 4' stacks. I use somewhere around 5 with the Dutchwest XL.
Yo Firewalker,there's something wrong with his story.After we filled the Hearthstone I and got it going all out we didn't relight it again.It gave off heat all night and well into the next day.We were praying it would cool down however it just kept emitting heating.No way that stove consumed a lot of wood.Maybe he had a lemon or he didn't shut it down at the damper.Anyhow I have the Mansfield model and it is very good on wood use.I'm, very pleased with it.The Equinox should be great.I wish I had one.Just can't get enough of woodstoving.If your draft is strong put in a pipe damper and report back to us,thanks.I don't know where the old Hearthstone II manual is.I'll send it if I find it.

Hi fire walker . I think the DW is a great stove but it has a 3cf fire box and is rated at 55000 btus . The EQ has a 4cf fire box
( 25% larger) but is rated at 125 ,000btus I think if all things are equal We should be geting more then twice the heat for 25% more wood burned sounds like a deal . My DW would burn 3cf of wood in about 10 hrs . I think the EQ will burn 4cf of wood in about 12 + hours. I used a H1 in the 80s to heat a 4000sf house we where building and i like the stove and it would heat the house with the windows open , it burned more wood then the DW but put out more heat for a longer time .I think it will be the wright stove for us. I hope mine comes in soon ,its getting cool here.

Being a softwood burner, btu`s really don`t mean diddly squat to me. More important is how long can I get meaningful heat? If you can burn 24/7, ain`t much chance of the house getting too cool. Rather the other way round.

Eg: I prefer soft maple as opposed to the higher btu content of douglas fir, cause I get the longer burn with the maple. Makes sense to me ,, but what do I know?? :roll:

wellbuilt home said:
Hi fire walker . I think the DW is a great stove but it has a 3cf fire box and is rated at 55000 btus . The EQ has a 4cf fire box
( 25% larger) but is rated at 125 ,000btus I think if all things are equal We should be geting more then twice the heat for 25% more wood burned sounds like a deal . My DW would burn 3cf of wood in about 10 hrs . I think the EQ will burn 4cf of wood in about 12 + hours. I used a H1 in the 80s to heat a 4000sf house we where building and i like the stove and it would heat the house with the windows open , it burned more wood then the DW but put out more heat for a longer time .I think it will be the wright stove for us. I hope mine comes in soon ,its getting cool here.

My EQ comes tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.