Heatilator type? And will a Englander fit inside w/out mods?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Collie

Nov 14, 2013
Ozarks
Thank you, Stovetalk Guys!!!
For many years, autumn to spring, I've been lurking here, learning, but with no like wisdom to give back... And won't have, for eons... Unless I start burning indoors. We live in the boondocks and use a 17 yr old Hardy outdoor wood burning furnace for all our heat and hot water year round.
Each year I begin reading here when I get cold enough to feel our current set up is just crazy, and so, start again to convince my husband...and now my youngest daughter climbs up on my lap with chilly little toes and fingers. If we are really warm, it's because my husband is home and has gone out there to babysit it 9 or 10 times a day. The furnace has a voracious appetite, which doesn't match the level of heat that gets to the house, I feel. Though our wood is free for just the work, as we live on forested land, we burn many piles a year, and never, ever have enough!
From your talk, I'm pretty sure an indoor stove would be more efficient at warmth.
Here's pix of what I have to work with, fireplace wise.

Dont think its a true masonry fireplace, as there is a basement bedroom below, not a chimney flue. ?. Is this a 1960s fabricated metal heatilator insert?

Opening dimensions are 42 wide x 31 3/4 high. 22" depth. 30 1/2" width at back. A 3 1/2 " brick lip holds up the glass doors and would need to be removed, I guess.

If so, can I put the larger Englander in there, realizing clearance and work room will be tight? (Husband only wants a near all night burner, as to firebox size, and he cares most about low price, and we have just Home Depot and a Regency Dealer within 3 hrs of us, that I can tell)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 152
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 141
P.s I see my uploaded images look huge! :( I don't have a camera phone, am trying to upload from a strange ipad. Any pic uploading tips that will make it easier on readers, ? I sure could use them!

Thanks for any and all comments, on this holiday week! And Merry Christmas, or whatever you are celebrating!

Hay Collie, welcome to the Forums, and Dah Sistahood ) Always nice to see another gal around here :)

FP looks similar to mine, which is masonary. What does the inside, and the chimney look like??

But I'll defer to those ore experienced / knowledgeable.

Floor plan looks like it's awesome for a loop to form !!

( i'd love it if the stove stuck out- hope it does!)

Thanks, Snotrocket for your story, that was a good read ;ex
What was your fireplace height measurement?
Though you were so quick and confident on that install, (not to mention the roof pitch or the snowfall!) that there isn't much tutorial in newbie speak to learn from...just, did it, do it. ;) That's good help in itself!

I am planning on the 6 inch leg kit...since I don't have massive brick underneath, but just an inch and a bit of hearthstone, I wondered about heat tolerance underneath with the Englander in my spot. .... I haven't figured out the fireplace and hearth set-up to my satisfaction. The fireplace inside is a metal one piece formation to the flue. Home is a long old farmstyle ranchouse built in 1962. So I thought we've got a heatilator. The fires we light burn fine in it, espec with the fan, but -
What's under that hearth, and the inside of the fireplace? Solid cement/masonry or no? Does it matter?

(We have no codes in my neck of the woods.. .Just expected to build with common sense...which can be interesting.)

My fireplace height measurement is 26 1/2 inches. I made my legs into 3 inch legs so I could clear the flu collar putting it in. My ashpan is about 1/2 inch off the brick on the bottom. Underneath mine is brick and cement block all the way to my basement floor. The whole structure is a giant 3 flu piece of masonry. Looks a lot like yours.

My install just like yours will be pretty straight forward. Get rid of the current fireplace surround and inspect up your flu. You'll need to measure the opening to size your cap on the terra cotta. Drop your liner down the chimney and install all the associated hardware then move your stove in.

Making your block off plate will be the hardest part if your husband doesn't work with metal very often.

Some fireplace and chimney pics taken when I started working this out a few months ago... Sorry there isn't more detail...the masonry outside of the chimney does go into the ground, there is a porch thrown up around it, but under the porch is a small metal clean out door, lower than the current hearth.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 118
image.jpg

Fixed it.

It looks to me, like the FP is on a stone foundation.

From what I'm seeing you're good to go. Order the stove and the liner after you measure the flu and your husband will have a new project.

Looks like a 13x13 opening but could be 18x18 as well. Hard to tell from a sideways picture. :p Someone will have to get up there to measure and confirm.

The clean out door won't get used again more than likely. If it was me I would stuff it full of roxul.

Speaking of roxul, I would save a little money and order an uninsulated liner and just insulate the liner myself using roxul. That will save you $150.

The 6 inch leg kit is over $100 without shipping. I would measure it carefully when you get it. You might not need to cut or buy anything. The stove is a few inches shorter with the legs on it than the pedestal if I remember correctly.

It will look very nice when it's done. The NC30 gives a great long lasting fire show assuming your wood is half decent.

I have used 5 pieces of wood since 8am this morning to heat my house and it's 73 in here. Outside temp is around 30. This is in a 1800 sq/ft house.

Thanks Dixie, looks to me you've put in the posts and logs for lots of knowledge! The floorplan loop has been great for lots of kid-chase-flow, that's for sure. Hope air does likewise.

Decided I will just stop procrastinating and get the stove tomorrow. Think I will do double wall insullated pipe, and order online from a link I found here earlier. Will figure out the details of exactly how the install will work, as I go.

Yes, we will need to trade DH's computer skills to a friend who welds helicopters for the sheet metalwork- and leg shortening if we do go shorter. I know, from reading comments here, that we definitely aren't using the ash pan!

Do not order double wall insulated pipe. It will be a pain in the ass to install and is completely unnecessary.

You want a 6 inch uninsulated flex liner from these guys. Order the correct cap for your terra cotta flu. It comes with the appliance adapter that attaches to your stove.

http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/?gclid=CPmsz4OY1LsCFY47Mgodn2IAiA

The stove is a few inches shorter with the legs on it than the pedestal if I remember correctly.

On the pedestal the stove is the same height as with the six inch legs. The nine inch legs jack it up three inches.

Reactions: Snotrocket
That is what bit me in the butt back in 2006. I ordered it based on the height published on the website, which is with ped, and had to get the six inch legs before I could install it. It didn't ship with ped and legs back then. Just the nine inch legs.

So what's shipping now, at last report? 9 inch legs and pedestal, both, which are the same height?
Or just pedestal?
Far as looks go, I don't care either way. Just excited to have fire that doesn't depend on electricity!

The 9 inch legs and pedestal both come with the stove as well as a blower. Measure it carefully when you get it and it might be good to go. The flu collar is the highest point on the top of the stove.

Thanks Dixie, looks to me you've put in the posts and logs for lots of knowledge! The floorplan loop has been great for lots of kid-chase-flow, that's for sure. Hope air does likewise.

Decided I will just stop procrastinating and get the stove tomorrow. Think I will do double wall insullated pipe, and order online from a link I found here earlier. Will figure out the details of exactly how the install will work, as I go.

Yes, we will need to trade DH's computer skills to a friend who welds helicopters for the sheet metalwork- and leg shortening if we do go shorter. I know, from reading comments here, that we definitely aren't using the ash pan!

You're learning :)

I think that loop is going to be a huge asset, kids & all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.