Heating in NY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
A few times in the past I have mentioned my sister's place in mid-state NY. They built their own home starting around 1980 with the intent of making it as energy efficient as possible. The walls are staggered 2x4 construction for 8" of insulation with a well sealed vapor barrier before the drywall. The heat is primarily from a homemade wood-fired oven. There is also a wood-oil boiler but it has to get into the low teens before they use it. Their total wood consumption is 2 cords per year in a heavy winter. In milder weather they burn poplar, cottonwood, etc. and in colder weather hickory. All wood comes from their property. If the wood oven has been fired for 4-5 days they often let the fire go out and heat with just the masonry mass of the wall surrounding the oven. Funny thing is the oven was a last minute addition while they were building. This house is just over 2000 sq ft and demonstrates the value of great insulation and attention to sealing details.

20180611_194905_resized.jpg 20180611_194729.jpg

They also build a great fireplace which is insulated from the exterior stone masonry.
20180611_194657.jpg

The windows are extra deep belying the thick walls.
20180612_081634.jpg

Out of curiosity do they have a ERV for air quality? I mention it as I have heard of a few older tight homes with lots of interior masonry having indoor air quality issues with respect to radon. At such a low heating load they have to be real tight.

ERVs are pretty well standard these days on Passivhaus's and Pretty Good House's. They seal them up super tight and then reintroduce fresh air where its needed. I seem to remember a few years back where a Pretty Good House designer was boasting some super low energy use for a home in Vermont or upper state NY, the claim was the house used little or no energy through a long winter. Someone reviewing the specs and realized the ERV was equipped with resistance element to keep it from frosting up and that contribution was not counted in the heating usage. Still impressive but far more realistic to count the duct heater in.

No ERV that I know of, but I'll ask. They usually have a window cracked open instead. Her husband was a smoker so he usually sits by the cracked open window. The oven wall is just 10 ft away.

1980? But Hearth.com was not around back then. How could they have known all that good stuff back then!? Lol

1980? But Hearth.com was not around back then. How could they have known all that good stuff back then!? Lol
Mother Earth News and Fine Homebuilding magazines.

The oven/stove though was homebrew. The floor of the oven, ceiling of the stove is 1.5" thick steel.

Not many use vapor barrier on the inside anymore