Heating room from metal chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc_Dad

Hearth Supporter
May 10, 2009
Maine
I have a customer that needs to have their chimney boxed in. Their wood stove is on 1st floor and is directly below their bedroom. They need to have the metal chimney boxed in and are wondering if I could put vents in the "box" so chimney continues to heat their bedroom. Any ideas, thoughts, products, or regulations?

The code in your area may be subject to interpretation. In my area the code requires the chase to have a 2 hour burn rating. Putting a vent in the chase defeats the two hour burn rating. What I did was to run a metal radiation shield the length of the chase so the radiation shield met the two hour burn requirement and then I vented the chase. You don't get nearly as much heat off the flue since there is an air space between the flue and the radiation shield but it's still better than the amout of heat that makes it through an unvented chase.

I built the chase using metal studs and drywall. I installed vents top and bottom. I also vented the chimney breast downstairs.

Are the metal studs because you are within 2inches of the chimney? I plan on using wood studs and keeping them 2+ inches away from chimney. This also sounds like it may not be worth the extra $ for them.

They are metal because I don't believe in using minimum CTC and I didn't want wood to shrink and twist as it dried out. What extra money? Metal studs are cheaper than wood.

I was thinking the shield doesn't sound cheap. Good points on the metal studs.

In my former home I had a tall SS chimney going up near the centre of the house and I vented the chase on it. It was inspected and approved by the fire marshall. When I built my current home it was the building inspector that inspected it. My short SS flue is chased through the master bedroom WIC and as such I didn't want too much heat salvaged from the flue heating up the closet and bedroom and I didn't want to take away from the draft. The radiation shield kept the inspector happy and allowed just the right amount of heat to be salvaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.