Heating with 160,000 claimed BTUs vs 132,000 BTUs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Highbeam said:
I come home to a cool house every day this time of year, say 63. My system is to not heat the home while we are at work during the day unless it gets really cold out but to heat it up when we are home and let the night's load die in the morning.

Anyway, the heritage takes a long time to begin heating the place up. Fire starts fine, I am pumping 1000 degree air up the double wall stack in short time, but the stove doesn't get hot for a long long time. Expect an hour to go by before room temps rise. Sure, you can burn your hand on the glass but the room temp is what I'm trying to raise.

I am jealous, BAR, that you get to try so many cool stoves. I would love to run a cat stove.

Who knows but i got the nod from the wife for a second stove and i have decided it will be a cat stove for alot of these very readons.

Browning just tell folks you write stove reviews and those odd looks will cease...maybe

Stump_Branch said:
Highbeam said:
I come home to a cool house every day this time of year, say 63. My system is to not heat the home while we are at work during the day unless it gets really cold out but to heat it up when we are home and let the night's load die in the morning.

Anyway, the heritage takes a long time to begin heating the place up. Fire starts fine, I am pumping 1000 degree air up the double wall stack in short time, but the stove doesn't get hot for a long long time. Expect an hour to go by before room temps rise. Sure, you can burn your hand on the glass but the room temp is what I'm trying to raise.

I am jealous, BAR, that you get to try so many cool stoves. I would love to run a cat stove.

Who knows but i got the nod from the wife for a second stove and i have decided it will be a cat stove for alot of these very readons.

Browning just tell folks you write stove reviews and those odd looks will cease...maybe

They know better... :lol:

greythorn3 said:
how about stacking firebricks around the steel stove a foot or 2 away so it heats them firebricks to retain some heat when it goes out?

And that's how they came up with soapstone stoves!

Status
Not open for further replies.