Heco stove questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lighterknot

Jan 5, 2023
NCfoothills
@lighterknot thread moved to its own topic.

You could look at a multi fuel cookstove like the Heco 420/520. I think there are a few more, but some are like my stove that claim you can burn coal in them, but I wouldn't.
I couldn't help but see your statement of not burning coal in a multi fuel. Just curious cause we're newbies at the woodstove heating and looking at a Heco 420 or 520. Appreciate any info we get. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't help but see your statement of not burning coal in a multi fuel. Just curious cause we're newbies at the woodstove heating and looking at a Heco 420 or 520. Appreciate any info we get. Thanks!
The Heco stoves have shakers, so they should do well with coal, probably better with coal than wood. My stove is a Tim Sistem North, and it has a static grate which would require shaking the coals with a shovel with the door open. Coal ash is very fine and I would not want to do this in my house. Shaker grates allow you to shake down the coal bed without opening the door.

Thanks so much for your info. I assumed the shakers were to dump the coals...I know there will be a lot of learning curves with wood and/or coal.... I'm glad I saw this forum site.. Education on anything is a blessing...

Reactions: SpaceBus
Thanks so much for your info. I assumed the shakers were to dump the coals...I know there will be a lot of learning curves with wood and/or coal.... I'm glad I saw this forum site.. Education on anything is a blessing...
I like a shaker for wood ashes too, but it's not a necessity. My freestanding stove has a shaker that works very well. In a coal stove you have to shake down the coals/ashes so air can come up through the grate before you reload more coal or light the stove from cold. Read more about lighting and maintaining a coal fire for more details, I'm only burning wood and don't have first hand experience.