Hedge sap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What cleans up hedge sap? Went cutting the other day and got sticky as hell, both stihls chains are stuck in the bars, and the handle is all sticky. Help!

I used to burn nothing but hedge and I know exactly what you are talking about. Really, I just never worried about it to much but if you really want to clean it up, if I remember correctly, a little gasoline on a rag will do the tirck.

I've cut a whole lot of hedge and never got into any sap. You sure it was hedge or so calle Osage orange?

wkpoor said:
I've cut a whole lot of hedge and never got into any sap. You sure it was hedge or so calle Osage orange?
Wow, I am amazed at that. I don't doubt what you are saying but most often, cutting hedge/Osage orange, same thing, the white sticky sap is just part of it. I have never cut the stuff with out having it all over everything, and I have cut tons of it over the years.

Could it be I've only cut it in the winter. Dunno but there is a bunch of logs stacked out there right now, some I'm going to process today. No sap to be found.

wd-40 what I use, or smothing like it.

Kerosene cuts it pretty good....

We use Diesel to clean off that sticky gummy stuff..

smokinjay said:
wd-40 what I use, or smothing like it.

That's what I'd try too Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.