Hello everyone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeepinbrent

Dec 6, 2013
Pa
Hello there! I'm new to this forum. My wife and I just purchased our wood stove and are just breaking it in. We have an enviro kodiak 1200 with dvl interior pipe. I was just wandering if anyone has any input on how hot the dvl pipe should get when it is full operation. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Seems to me that eventhough we're still breaking in the pipe seems a little hot.

Welcome to the forum. I looked up your stove and it's a nice looking stove. Did you do the install yourself or have it professionally installed? As for the double wall stove pipe temperature you will probably need to buy an infrared thermometer or put a magnetic thermometer on it and give us some actual temperatures before anyone can accurately respond to your query. Normally, magnetic thermometer are meant to be used on stoves or single wall pipe and a probe thermometer is used on double wall pipe to get the internal flue temperature, rather than the outside pipe temperature. However, since your concern is with how hot the outside of the pipe is getting an accurate temperature should get you some meaningful feedback.

Welcome to the forum, from a fellow noob! You will find a ton of great info here. You can find a a great deal of useful info in this thread: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...lem-stoves-air-is-restricted-faq-about.59225/

Good luck and I'd agree with Nick, get an Infrared Thermometer gun and that will give you exact temperatures anywhere you point it. I've found that the magnetic thermos take a while to read the correct temperature and even then they can be off by quite a bit.

Welcome to the forum. I looked up your stove and it's a nice looking stove. Did you do the install yourself or have it professionally installed? As for the double wall stove pipe temperature you will probably need to buy an infrared thermometer or put a magnetic thermometer on it and give us some actual temperatures before anyone can accurately respond to your query. Normally, magnetic thermometer are meant to be used on stoves or single wall pipe and a probe thermometer is used on double wall pipe to get the internal flue temperature, rather than the outside pipe temperature. However, since your concern is with how hot the outside of the pipe is getting an accurate temperature should get you some meaningful feedback.
We had a pro put it in. My homeowners ins company said straight up if I did the install they would drop us. We did a lot of shopping around for different stoves and decided on enviro. They claimed at full operation we should be Abel to touch the pipe. So far with the break in fires it seemed a little warm. I'll get some heat readings soon. Thanks for the reply!

Welcome to the forum, from a fellow noob! You will find a ton of great info here. You can find a a great deal of useful info in this thread: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...lem-stoves-air-is-restricted-faq-about.59225/

Good luck and I'd agree with Nick, get an Infrared Thermometer gun and that will give you exact temperatures anywhere you point it. I've found that the magnetic thermos take a while to read the correct temperature and even then they can be off by quite a bit.
Thanks! It's a learning process. I really like the reburnining tubes in the stove. They said the pipe comming out of the stove is telescoping.

Well...not sure about touching the pipe after a long run. Remember you got a heat source right below it of several hundred degrees. That alone will heat up the outside to a point.

Well...not sure about touching the pipe after a long run. Remember you got a heat source right below it of several hundred degrees. That alone will heat up the outside to a point.
Thanks. I'll get some readings this weekend and see what yinz think.

Status
Not open for further replies.