Hello From French Farmland

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Is that single or double wall stove pipe connecting to the chimney pipe? If single-wall, most good hardware stores have draft regulators. If double-walled, the shaft of the regulator needs to be a bit longer to fit the thicker walls. In that case the stove pipe manufacturer can be the best source sometimes.
Dual wall after the adapter from single to dual which connects directly to my stove

"hardware store" is literally an American thing...but I understand what you mean

Convesa is the manufacturer of my dual wall...maybe they are making a damper that is not yet on any web site? I guess I shall contact them directly...

I'm very motivated to upgrade to a new, larger firebox stove rather than invest much more in the Shama...uh, I mean, Panadero

thanks for your guidance! :)

Moved damper questions to original thread. It is too hard to keep track of the dozens of posts on this installation over many different threads. At this point it's uncertain which thread the pictures of the stovepipe and chimney were posted.

Reactions: ctreitzell
Moved damper questions to original thread. It is too hard to keep track of the dozens of posts on this installation over many different threads. At this point it's uncertain which thread the pictures of the stovepipe and chimney were posted.
sorry about that
thanks for organizing things, much appreciated

What thread were the stove and chimney pipe pictures in? I can consolidate them here too.

Reactions: Diabel
hmmmm, ok, changed my search criteria:
I might be able to get this to work...
Nova Flue...but it's UK and not EU
https://www.specflue.com/catalogue/...m/bends-and-tees/130mm-sfl-draught-regulator/

I could install this outside fairly easily as the spiral conduit inner pipe size is 130mm and the Convesa Dual Wall is 125mm

putting this inside would be a challenge...I don't want the horizontal run to get longer!

What thread were the stove and chimney pipe pictures in? I can consolidate them here too.
I think they were in this very thread as this was the only one I commented on and it had them

I think they were in this very thread as this was the only one I commented on and it had them
yes, I believe I only posted them in this thread :)

posts 12, 13, 20, 21 and 25

Yep, there they are. I get impatient after hunting for stuff for too long in the other threads.

OK, duh, I have found the Convesa dampers that work with my flue pipe
also a 90 elbow with cleanout...except the that elbow is bigger than the one I have now
might have to be a T

from the Convesa catalog
Convesa_KWCR_Damper.png

Last edited:
OK, duh, I have found the Convesa dampers that work with my flue pipe
also a 90 elbow with cleanout...except the that elbow is bigger than the one I have now
might have to be a T

from the Convesa catalog
View attachment 321962
@begreen I realize dual wall will be much higher cost :) than single wall

OK, @weee123, to field further your comment...
my continued research into my current temp install has me looking at spiral conduit because I have a long 5 meter section I've stabilized and connected into which was existing when I first took possession of this property in 2012. We plan to sweep tomorrow, so I'll get some pics.

On https://buyductings.com/double-wall-spiral-duct/
Looking at the site, I find temp spec ranges:
"What is the Maximum Working Temperature for a High Temp Double Wall Round Duct?
High temperature double wall round duct is available in a range of materials.
This provides a wide maximum working temperature range from 140 ° Fahrenheit to 1650 ° Fahrenheit."

1650 degrees F!!! I'm not saying my conduit is 1650F rated- there's no way...The exterior does get warm to the touch with a fire venting through it. My flue is definitely dual wall insulated; spiral on the inside, for sure...it makes a heckuva racket when drawing, so I doubt it is perforated inner.

We'll find out more about creosote build up tomorrow when we sweep.

hmmm, that last post didn't post yesterday... nevermind!

Wow, it took pretty much all day, but sweeping done

I verified a few things

1- the coupling at the Y cleanout to the 90 is the worst one because that connection is female pointing down...it's not a huge mess, tho
2- The inner pipe of the Y cleanout is stainless...4mm ish
3- the inner pipe on the 5meter spiral section is steel...looks like cast, but it is spiral...it's hard like steel...no way is it galvanized...
4- The connection from Y to the 90 is a cut piece of vitreous single wall and not a Poulait fitting as I had said earlier
5- all downward forces of the long spiral conduit and the Y hangs on the gallows brackets, there is very little downward force on the 90° elbow

I collected all the creosote and measured it to be 3 liters which is about 3 quarts. That is from burning all last year and about 5 weeks this season. There was zero creosote in the horizontal dual wall from the stove outlet to the 90 elbow. There was a noticeable pile of creosote flakes in the 90° (as Panadero warns in their installation guidelines) anyway, photos to come

So class A chimney is rated at 1000’ F continuous, 1 hour at 1400’F and 10 minutes at 2100’F