Hello Ontario

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoop

Hearth Supporter
Nov 29, 2008
Southern Ontario
I'm curious to know what the pellet buying experience has been for any members here living in Ontario Canada. I've been looking around my area on Lake Ontario half way between Montreal and Toronto and pellets seem to be selling for $300 a ton at most places. You can also find them in smaller quantities for $6 a bag. This is too much money for me and I'm sitting on a cache of 9 bags which is rapidly dwindling in my garage.

I'm curious to know if others are having the same experience. From what I can see pellet purchases are way down so far this year, as all of the sores seem to have a good supply. Am I stupid waiting to see of the price drops?

It's just not economical burnuing this fuel at $6 a 40 lb bag although I love my stove.

Let me know if there are any better buys within a reasonable driving distance.

Thanks Stan

Be thankful you are not here in north eastern Ontario (mid way between Ottawa & North Bay). here the current price is 6.79 -6.99 a bag with very little selection. I am sitting on 4 ton that I got from Home Depot in the spring and had paid 6.49.

Around here the price is all over the map.

The local Home Hardware has them at $7.99 a bag :bug: , while another Home Hardware 50km away has pellets at $5.99/bag.

Local TSC is at $6.99/bag, but if you buy 20 or more they drop to $5.99, and a couple of places have pellets at $5.75/bag (no discount for paying by the ton). Funny thing is TSC and Home Hardware do not deliver, but a couple of guys with pellets at $5.75 include delivery.

I bought my supply in the spring, at $5.25/bag delivered.

For me, $5.25 equals oil at $0.68/l, $6/bag would be the same as oil at $0.78/l.

Cheers

Kenny

I have to disagree. Burning wood pellets is still a hell of a lot cheaper than oil. Then again, I do live on PEI, where oil is the highest in Canada. Even still, I find it takes more oil and me turning the thermostat up higher to produce anywhere close to the great heat my pellet stove produces. The heat from the stove penetrates to the core but crappy oil through my baseboards just doesn't do the trick.

Pellets are way cheaper still.

Status
Not open for further replies.