Help! Chimney to narrow for 6"pipe and insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinmerchant

Jul 29, 2009
Cheshire, CT
I know i have read about this problem somewhere, but ignored it because I thought my chimney had a larger flue.
The inside is 6.5 x 10.5. Stove has 6" pipe. I also wanted to insulate.
Any recommendations.

Are there any offsets in the chimney flue or is it straight up and down? If so, ovalized insulated liner should work.

Flex pipe I assume. What size oval. Any recommendations on where to buy. Would a 5.5 round also work. Can I connect the flex pipe directly to stove. Its a Vermont Castings Dutchwest, 1/2 inside fireplace. Also, I burned 2 seasons without liner and now have some glazing the sweep didn't completely get rid of this spring. Does that need to be removed before liner install.

I will be putting my other fireplace to work this year with a Avalon 745 insert. This one has a larger flue so I was thinking of going with double wall rigid insulated liner. Found some at Lowes for only $67 for 3ft section. Name is Super Vent. Has anyone heard of this, is it any good. I would need flex to go through fireplace damper. How do you connect 6" flex to double wall rigid.

Sorry I didn't answer your question. Yes, its straight for the most part except a slight angle as it goes through wall into fireplace

burn it said:
I know i have read about this problem somewhere, but ignored it because I thought my chimney had a larger flue.
The inside is 6.5 x 10.5. Stove has 6" pipe. I also wanted to insulate.
Any recommendations.

You can pour this mix down your flue after the stove liner has been installed. You just need to block off the flue at the bottom, mix material with water and pour into flue from the top.

Attachments

• mix_insulation.jpg
    mix_insulation.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 257
ROFLMAO said:
As you ovalize a pipe you get less area so you will have to go up in size (perfectly round maximizes area of a pipe). A 5.5" only works if it is okayed by the manufacturer of the stove. If it is you can get a 6"-5.5" adapter and be on your way.

For the amount of ovalizing, I'm not sure this is really true - you get narrower, but you also increase the other dimension. Unless you're doing something crazy I would bet the area is pretty similar. That said I would be concerned if the stove needs a 6" and you're ovalizing a 5.5". Also, I'd rather do an ovalized 6" than a 5.5" round.

Status
Not open for further replies.