Help! - Code Question for Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteD

Hearth Supporter
Jun 4, 2008
Here
I am trying to finally button-up my install for my rough inspection. Details: single family in Massachusetts, Lennox Brentwood on main floor - second floor above and then attic, Class A pipe, corner install with outer wall insulated and drywalled per manual.

Here is the question: Do I need to put sheetrock on the ceiling inside the chase between first and second floor? If I don't, the area between the joists for the second floor is open to the enclosure of the fireplace. See Photos (insulation has all been stapled):
Here is the ceiling (second floor floor) penetration with firestop per manual (you can see drywall on outer walls of enclosure at the bottom of the photo):
IMG_4845-1.jpg

Here is the area above the inside wall (no insulation - you can see back of drywall) between the joists for the second floor that I am referring to:
IMG_4846-1.jpg

Thanks,
Pete

Check with your local code enforcement inspector...
Looks to me like you've got a firedeck between the first & second floor &
that is all that's required here in NY...
As long as there is something blocking any potential flames from getting straight thru
to the second floor you should be ok.
Basically, you need something (firedeck...firebreak) to do this.
But your building guy will be the one to check with.
He's the AHJ - Authority Having Jurisdiction or the BTJ - Buford T. Justice!

Ok I would like to start off that sometimes pics are misleading so take what I say with a grain of slat and apply it to what is really there I guess.

I see the paper of insulation in the first pic. That's a place for potential cold air infiltration in the future. I hope you have an attic insulation shield around that pipe above the firestop on the first pic. Anyway should should have a full draftstop (aka fireblock) at the ceiling level. That fact that I can see insulation says there is not one. The firestop should be unscrewed and you should either cut plywood or drywall to fit up there and then secure the firestop back in. Unless you want that chase section to become part of the attic space, because if there is direct air flow it certainly will. Unfortunately with most wood chimney you cannot seal the firestop per the UL listing so that will always leak a little.

The first floor area may be OK but there is probably something we are not seeing. Now this is on an outside wall so at someplace in the joist space on the outside wall there is probably not any drywall, just insulation batts stuffed up there with exterior sheeting behind them. In a room the drywalled ceiling acts to "seal" this area off from the house. If this is open in the fireplace chase area all the air that can get in above the ceiling will leak in there. So same thing here, it would be best to have a false ceiling here attached to the joists just like you do in the rest of the room.

Thanks Guys.

Both shots are of the first penetration the chimney makes - through the first floor ceiling/second floor floor. Where it penetrates the attic, I do have a fully sealed ceiling and attic radiation shield above - per the installation manual.

The area around the fireblock in the pictures is framed fully with joist-thickness boards to seal the opening to the second floor.

My concern is the air gap between the first floor ceiling and second floor floor as can be seen above the room wall in the second photo.

I have fireblocked into the floor in essence, and DAKSY thinks this is good to go in NY - and that was also my thought as I planned this install. (I will check with my AHJ also - but I would just as soon do this if required, although it seems like having some heat flow between the ceiling and second floor would make the floor warmer).

The paper on the insulation is against the outside walls, above the ceiling line. I think I need to remove the paper backing if I do not put in a ceiling.

JTP, any additional thoughts since this is not attic penetration?

Thanks,
Pete

Just make sure everything is insulated and sealed from potential outside air infiltration. I can't really visualize the full picture with just the two zoomed in pics.

Although, it seems the statements in the last paragraph do apply to your situation. You would be best off the have a ceiling in there just like the rest of the room, or it will be a weak spot. It may not be required but I would recommend it. Here, it would be required by code but its rare the inspectors catch it, either they don't know or don't care. I believe it is a nationally accepted code actually. It was explained to me something like this... any time you transition from a vertical space (room) to a horizontal space (joist space) you need to have a draft stop.

I see what you are saying.

To put a ceiling in there, I would have to add some furring strips where they are missing to achieve a draft stop for the joist space (otherwise I would have a small air gap still).

I assume I would need to take off the firestop, put furring strips around the framed opening, put drywall across everything, and then put the firestop back on last? In other words, I should not just put furring strips and drywall over the edges of the firestop where it sits to make it airtight...I think the firestop is supposed to go on last.

Thanks for the insights,
Pete

Yeah the firestop should go on last.

Status
Not open for further replies.