Help deciding which stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coppermouse

Hearth Supporter
Sep 25, 2007
I am looking for a stove with long burn time, efficient and easy to maintain.
I like the Blaze King but it is kind of expensive. Is there something out there with long burn times, efficient and easy to maintain that isn't so expensive? I don't mind if it is catalytic, I have been using an Englander catalytic for 18 years, I am just tired of fighting it to clean the cat and want longer burn times.

The bigger the box usually the longer the burn times...no big secrete.
Cat stoves are great for longer burn times because you can cruise at lower temps and still have the cat clean up the smoke.
Tube stoves do a great job of heating without the trouble of cleaning and replacing cats ,though cats will last 6-10 years with proper burning these days,or so they say.

You say you are tired of fighting it to clean the cat. Could you explain that in more detail?

Maybe the big Buck 91... I imagine that's in the $2500 range, not cheap but cheaper than a BK King.
Or the Ideal Steel from Woodstock at $2k.

Last edited:
Sounds like you care for and hold on to a stove for a long time. Go ahead and get the BK you want. The cost difference amortized over its lifetime will be small.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I'm also interested to see if there are better priced comparable to bk. I never found anything of comparable burn time and efficiency for a better price, hence I went with the Blazeking stove.

What I mean by fighting it: You have to reach through a small opening (door). Unbolt 4 bolts for the flame impingement plate, then take 4 bolts out to remove the cat housing and try to pry it out. It will for sure be frozen. Plus all the bolts are frozen even though I put anti seize on them. Ends up taking a long time and you can't see inside when your arms are in there and putting it back together is worse. You have to try to hold the heavy flame impingement plate in place and start the bolts on the rusted studs

What I mean by fighting it: You have to reach through a small opening (door). Unbolt 4 bolts for the flame impingement plate, then take 4 bolts out to remove the cat housing and try to pry it out. It will for sure be frozen. Plus all the bolts are frozen even though I put anti seize on them. Ends up taking a long time and you can't see inside when your arms are in there and putting it back together is worse. You have to try to hold the heavy flame impingement plate in place and start the bolts on the rusted studs

Oh,I see.
The BK is easy to do compared to that deal. No bolts for the shield,just lift the shield up and out. Cat comes right out ,you will need a new gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.