Help deciding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpeterb

Jul 15, 2009
Western PA
I am looking to trade in my truck for a larger one for towing and hauling wood. I am looking at two vehicles...a chevy 2500HD crew cab with a 6.0L gas engine and a 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 with a 6.7 Cummins Diesel engine. Both will tow, both will haul, but which would you go with...the new gas engine, or the used diesel? (22,000 miles).

How far & how much are you gonna drive the thing? Cummins is awesome for power & pulling, but fuel cost usually offsets any mileage gains. GM 6.0L with the Allison tranny is a 200,000 mile setup other than regular maint. & some exhaust manifold issues. Cummins is a 500,000 mile motor if cared for & maintained properly. The problem you'll have in your area is rust from road salt. Keep either truck washed underneath esp. in the winter & you'll be happy I think. Give us a little more info on your intentions for the truck & we can give you many more opinions than you'll ever want.::-) A C

Reactions: fox9988
I didn't look at ford for the simple fact that I get a better deal on GM's...brother in law is a mechanic. The dodge is used and sitting on the same lot as the Chevy. I am certainly not against fords though..great trucks.
As for intentions, the truck will be used to tow a trailer that is 8600lbs dry and can hold another 2500lbs when loaded up. It is a camping trailer that will be used mainly in the summer for short to long trips....more short than long I would suspect.
We would like to take it to Florida and the Grand Canyon at some point, but not until next summer or the following. I also haul lots of firewood...either truck does that well. It must be a crew cab, as I have three kids and a wife that tag along quite a bit, and I am glad they do. I will also be driving this truck to and from work....between 40 and 60 miles per day depending on where I am going. I have never owned a diesel, but I have a feeling that the 2-year old diesel and the new gasser will probably come in at about the same price, thus my dilemma. Is this enough info?

Yep, Cummins hands down. The 6.0 L will eat too much gas pulling that trailer, & not do it with the authority that the diesel will. I don't think you'll be at all disappointed in the Dodge for what you want to do. Post a few pics, & your initial impressions when you pick up the new truck. A C

Reactions: fox9988
Diesel is the wave of the future.... Dollar for Dollar, the power and longevity will far outlast and out-pull the Gasser.

I currently have a 03 F-150 SuperCrew FX4 that I will be trading off..... I will be replacing with a diesel. Period....

Ford, Chevy, and Dodge all make good Diesels. But Cummins will be my top pick (and I am a Ford guy!).

I've towed with the 6.0L gasser and will vouch for it's capability. I've NEVER seen a sub-400 inch gas engine (no super/turbo-charger) pull like the 6.0L does. It loves to work, and it loves fuel.

I don't know much about the 6.7L Cummins but in general the new diesels are not out there setting new records for fuel economy. Just talked to a gentleman with the new Ford 6.7L PowerStroke and he reports getting 12-13 around town and about 17-19 highway. I've heard similar from post-2007 DuraMax owners as well.

If the price is similar, I'd lean towards the diesel. Especially if this is a daily driver.

If you need a diesel then there's no choice. If you're towing the trailer occasionally I have to say I'd lean gas. I bought my truck in 2006 (Dodge/Cummins) before the latest round of EPA requirements came out. It's paid for and I'm keeping it for as long as I can. The new round of diesels have had more than a few issues. The fuel economy is better but if you look at window stickers (on new trucks) they are marking the diesel motors up $7k over gas. With gas cheaper than diesel now I doubt most folks would ever make up the difference in fuel economy or longevity. The ones that will aren't asking this question. I love my diesel but am leary about a new one especially at the price. I don't tow heavy that often. I have a 20ft lowboy that I load wood on. Other than it's all light stuff like travel trailer, boat, bbq pit, etc. I got a diesel because I wanted to keep the truck 12 or 15 years and not worry about the motor being the weak link.

If the price were about the same, I'd get the diesel....but it will most likely command a hefty premium over the gasser.

For me it would come down to purely dollars and cents. Estimate the loaded and unloaded mileage for each, figure out how many miles of each you expect to drive over the life of the truck, the best guess at fuel cost (diesel most likely be higher), and come up with your answer. If the fuel savings of the diesel offset the cost...then there's your answer.

On the intangible side, a diesel "feels" better when towing because of the huge amount of torque they make...so if you are towing uphill a lot that may influence your decision as well. The gasser probably has about the same HP as the diesel, so you can get up the hill just as fast, you'll just be running 4,500 RPM vs. 2,500 RPM (for example).

I've owned gas, and I've owned Diesel. I've owned Chevy and I've owned Dodge. I've owned used, and I've owned new. You failed to mention relative pricing and warranty, but I would not even consider a used Dodge diesel over a new Chevy gasoline truck.

Dodge has some exciting trucks at remarkably low prices, compared to Chevy, but their quality is not exactly on par. Every component from control arms to the sheet metal is cheaper and thinner on my Dodge than on my Chevy.

Diesel is a great way to go for the guy doing long hauls with heavy loads, but 90% of my "trucking" is nothing but my butt and a few hundred pounds of gear. Don't need a Cummins diesel for that. I hate having to search for stations carrying diesel when I was low on fuel, as diesel stations can be few and far between in more metropolitan/residential areas.

New vs. Used? Are you kidding? How do the warranties compare?

I am looking to trade in my truck for a larger one for towing and hauling wood. I am looking at two vehicles...a chevy 2500HD crew cab with a 6.0L gas engine and a 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 with a 6.7 Cummins Diesel engine. Both will tow, both will haul, but which would you go with...the new gas engine, or the used diesel? (22,000 miles).

I'm a Kool-Aid drinking diesel believer. However. . . I've had a 1999 Dodge 3500 4x4 for the last 5 years. About 2 years ago my $800 lift pump sh_t the bed, which took out my $3500 injector pump. And it wasn't like I hadn't changed the fuel filter either. After a tow and labor the total bill was just under $5000. A $5000 repair bill on a truck that I paid $15,000 for originally.

My advice: If this is going to be a daily or high mileage driver, get the diesel. Get the diesel and stay ahead of the fuel filter replacement schedule. If it's going to be a weekend/woodhauling/occasional use truck, go gas.

$800 for a lift pump, holy sh**!

That was a common problem for the '99 24V Cummins that Big-Redd has. The fuel system for the 6.7L is going to be a totally different (there still is a lift and injection pump, just different operating characteristics) animal. Hi-Pressure Common Rail fuel systems have been the de-facto standard in pickups for quite awhile now.

$800 for a lift pump, holy sh**!

That was a common problem for the '99 24V Cummins that Big-Redd has. The fuel system for the 6.7L is going to be a totally different (there still is a lift and injection pump, just different operating characteristics) animal. Hi-Pressure Common Rail fuel systems have been the de-facto standard in pickups for quite awhile now.

I just switched from diesel back to a gas truck. I would never own a diesel that I did not know or own since new. I had my used w/ 60k miles 2006 f250 for two years and it was always in the shop. Luckily, I had a warranty as it went through a turbo, two injectors cam position sensor, oil leak etc. etc. The new gas trucks are high hp and torque without the premium for maintenance, fuel and upfront costs. If you do buy a used diesel keep a big repair budget in the bank. Another option, if looking at only towing occasionally is the new half tons with max tow and payload packages.

OK...so I went to the dealership today and was initially disappointed....the used diesel was GONE...sold 15 minutes before I got there. My disappointment only lasted a few minutes, as I soon learned that they have a brand new 2500 diesel sitting there, and there are currently additional rebates available for a diesels, grad students (I am enrolled in in a doctoral program), and the original rebates. Once applied, the new diesel truck and the new gasser are within 200 bucks of each other!! The biggest difference (other than the motor) is that the gasser has more options inside the cab (power sliding back window, integrated brake control, duel heating zones, etc.). The diesel is more bare-bones, but still pretty well equipped. The wife and I are test driving both vehicles tomorrow. Now that price is equalized, we are again in a situation where we have to weigh the options. We'll see how they drive I guess.

OK...so I went to the dealership today and was initially disappointed....the used diesel was GONE...sold 15 minutes before I got there. My disappointment only lasted a few minutes, as I soon learned that they have a brand new 2500 diesel sitting there, and there are currently additional rebates available for a diesels, grad students (I am enrolled in in a doctoral program), and the original rebates. Once applied, the new diesel truck and the new gasser are within 200 bucks of each other!! The biggest difference (other than the motor) is that the gasser has more options inside the cab (power sliding back window, integrated brake control, duel heating zones, etc.). The diesel is more bare-bones, but still pretty well equipped. The wife and I are test driving both vehicles tomorrow. Now that price is equalized, we are again in a situation where we have to weigh the options. We'll see how they drive I guess.
Integrated brake control sure is a nice feature but you can add a top-of-the-line aftermarket unit like mine for under $150.

About that dual-zone climate control... worth a lot more than you'd think at first glance. I bought my wife a car so we'd stop fighting over the heat/ac/fan. Just sayin.....::P

Now that the diesel option is in a Chevy/GMC and the price is similar, I expect we'll be seeing pictures of your new DirtyMax. ::-) 100 hp and gobs of extra torque for the same money? Comparable if not better mileage? Where do I sign up?

Reactions: amateur cutter
Tougher decision now, but I'd still go gasoline. If I were doing a lot of long hauls with heavy loads, I'd surely go diesel. For a daily driver / weekend hauler, I just prefer the convenience of gasoline.

Many of the gas stations I use do not carry diesel, and when they do, it's usually dedicated to one or two pumps.

So a brand new crew cab 2500 either way? Only difference is in the options and one has a diesel? As much as the new diesels scare me still I'd have to go diesel. Here in Texas, the resale on the diesel is WAY better than gas so the minute you drive off the lot the gas motor just cost your $5k probably. It would be hard not to buy the diesel especially if you trade vehicles before they're junked out.

On the other hand you mention you're in a doctoral program. No clue what your financial situation is but if you're full time in a doctoral program and trying to live off the stipend then the great unknown of diesel repair bills may factor in. But if you don't put that many miles on then maybe you'll be done by the time you're out of warranty and this is a moot point.

All in all, if you can buy either for basically the same money I'd go diesel in this situation.

After test driving both again, I am a proud owner of a new diesel ram. It is getting much better fuel economy than the gasser did on my test drive. Not as many buttons to play with, but man does it have power!

What?! ;lol Did you switch dealerships? Didn't know a new D-d-d-d-dd-Dodge D-d-d-d-d Diesel was even on the table!

Congrats on the new truck btw!

Whichever you get, don't forget the Steeler bumper sticker!

Who needs buttons when you can pull tree stumps in third gear?

The new dodge was not initially on the table at all...with a sticker price like that, it is hard to put it on the table. Interestingly, the additional incentives they are offering for diesel motors along with some other incentives that my sales rep found for me coupled with a generous offer on my trade put the new truck...ready for this.....almost $4000 below the cost of the used one I was looking at....don't ask how this worked out, I am just glad it did. It helped that I did my homework beforehand, producing multiple internet quotes, invoice prices, etc. and insisted that the dealer beat, not match, them. It pays to do your due diligence when vehicle shopping I guess. Pictures to follow.

Well, at least you won't have to worry about DEF. Don't know if that's good or not, I've heard it both ways. New diesels are way too expensive to repair and maintain for me. I had an '01 with the same problem as BR. It still ran, and it was still under warranty, but I found a punk kid that gave me what I wanted for it so I dumped it. With 62k on it and needing an injector pump, I just didn't want to keep it.

I'm sure it will be fine for you, and I'm sure you will enjoy it. I think the new Dodge is the best looking truck on the road, so hurry up with some pics.

Congratulations,
Is it a crew cab? Gotta have the crew cab!
You're gonna love it. I had gas trucks and vans until '07 when I bought my first diesel (used) I love it what a beast.
I have the Banks diesel tuner in it with the intercooler and 4" exhaust, unbelievable power. It has 35" tires and around town I get about 15mpg. I've never really been on the highway without a trailer so I don't know that mpg but with a trailer on the open road I still get 13-14mpg

Status
Not open for further replies.