Help Diagnosing Pipe Resonance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkbug

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 20, 2010
Upstate NY
So Im back for more help.

When my storage circ runs, I am occasionally getting a resonance in my first floor zone piping. My guess is that it has to do with the diverting valve, and when its near one end or the other of its travel, but if thats the case Im not sure what the best approach is.

It doesnt seem to be impacting the performance or anything, its just annoying, and Im curious what causes it.

Any thoughts?

IIRC you're not the first here with such a complaint. I believe they were able to side-step the problem by closing down a valve somewhat on one of the legs of the valve.

There's plenty of stuff in the guts of the valve that could resonate easily. I'd be tempted to pull it apart and try to imagine what could be tweaked to change its susceptibility to resonating, or maybe a small hole through the disk, but I imagine it's too pricey to mess with much.

--ewd

Thanks ewd.

Ill do some searching around here on the forums to see what I can find. The internet in general seems to have people asking this when it comes to mixing/tempering valves, but I havent found anything on this specific instance of installation.

I did already have to pull it apart a few times to monkey with it, since things werent installed as I thought they were. Its a pretty simple thing, with two machined pieces of brass that can be pushed together to form a circle, a spring, and something that looks like a thermostat out of a car. So only four bits, and my thought would be that the spring has something to do with it. Perhaps I didnt get that seated in there properly?

You are correct that its not something I want to drill too many holes into anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.