Help - Englander 25-PDVC lower auger/motor issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyDaug

Dec 26, 2010
Maine
Hello,

I have been working on my neighbors Englander 25-PDVC (Serail #028588, Manufacture date: 09/04). The lower auger stops working periodically. Usually it happens when starting up after a cleaning. Every time it has stopped working I have found the bottom motor is not running. When I take the armature out of the motor to clean it I find a black gummy residue on the shaft of the back side of the armature. After cleaning it off and reassembling it the motor and auger functions fine for a week or so then it stops. I believe it happens after shut down because the residue thickens when it cools, and won't allow the motor to restart. I can not figure out where this mystery black residue is coming from. I know the bottom auger motor runs more, and it exposed to high heat, so I switched the top motor to the bottom, and it still has the same reoccuring issue. I have considered purchasing a new motor, but after switching the motors produced the same results I'm not sure. I am at my wits end trying to figure this out. I would greatly appreciate any input to advice/input on this.

Thank You,

Scott

Seems I saw a comment relative to the fact that heat can cause oilite bronze to lose its oil over time. Cleaning and WD40 brought my lower motor back to life about a year ago and it is still running but I bought a backup motor.

What seems odd is, he swithed the top auger motor, with the bottom auger motor & gets the same results. Is the bottom auger, out of center of feed tube, & could the rotating auger be dragging the inside of the feed tube cause this. The bearing block housing that holds the bearing for the auger shaft, are sloted so you can rotate & adjust the auger to center of feed tube. May that would be the direction to head, try centering the auger shaft in tube. Also make sure the auger shaft bearing is in good shape, not wore to bad. Might also be a good idea to pull the whole auger, out from auger tube. Check and make sure auger tube is free of dirt (loose fines from bags). I have a round wire style brush, on a shaft, that I pit in a hand drill & kind of like hone, back & forth in auger tube. This cleans up the tube real nice. I than spray a dry graphite spray, inside auger tube. I usually don't do this every year, but do pull both augers, about every other year & do this.

HD41, If you hadn't mentioned I might have been able to sound like a hero. But I think you may be on target. I haven't see the unit he's talking about, if it's hotter down there that's it. If the motor is dragging it could dust graphite but if it's oily and overheated, you're correct, it would point to the bronze.

Thanks for the great input guys. titan racer, I will try wire brushing the auger tube with a wire brush, and some dry graphite. The auger did seem to have a sticking point no matter how I aligned it. Another thing, earlier this winter I ordered an "Early Bird Special" gasket kit for the stove. The original auger gaskets was the fiberglass type, which does great until you disassemble something and they fall apart. The replacement ones are a type of black plastic. I noticed the center of the lower one has melted away, but the perimeter seal is intact so I was thinking its ok. I Emailed Englander about the issue and they said it wasn't a known problem. I'm not sure if this is connected with the lower auger issue. My thought was that the melted plastic may be getting into the armature somehow, but this is a stretch because of their location to one another. Each time I resurrected the motor with WD40 like HD41 suggested. I may get a new motor on order. The armatures did look a little worn on both motors. Maybe a combination of cleaning the auger tube, and a new motor may provide a long term solution. Thank again for all the great suggestions.

I wonder why some people have chronic motor problems and others don't. Sounds like you have a good handle on mechanical maintenance aspects of inspection and adjustments but under the best conditions the lower motor runs continuous and develops significantly more heat than the upper motor. Early on I experienced carbon buildup in the auger tube at the burn pot area to a point of squeaking and no doubt this made the motor heat up more. Longer pellets can also make the motor work harder, for me this was evident by an occasional thumping of the auger motor on its mount. These motors are readily available but having a spare motor on hand is an option if you can't get along without the stove for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.