Help Evaluating Wood Stove Proposals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bk1

Oct 5, 2015
WI
I had created another thread to get your thoughts on two different places we thought about putting our wood stove:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/ideas-for-heating-with-wood.155783/#post-2093052

We don't have a good spot in our basement, and it sounded like putting the stove in the location that we will be the most was the way to go. So, my wife and I decided to put it in our living room.

We are in a raised ranch with the living room, dining room, and kitchen on one side. The bedrooms are on the opposite side. So, we are looking to heat about 1300 square feet with a wood stove in the living room. Our main goals are to lower our LP needs throughout the year. We have wood on our property and plan on using that as much as possible. I cut and stacked 5 cords of wood last winter in preparation for having a wood stove this year.

Here are the models that were recommended to us after talking to some local fireplace/stove stores locally:
1) Blaze King Sirocco 20
2) Pacific Energy Super 27
3) Quadra-Fire Explorer I
4) Heatilator WS18

Options 3 and 4 were from the same location, just different price points. I have heard of the brands in option 1 and 2 but I am so new to this, that doesn't mean much.

One thing that was interesting to me and my wife was in talking to the Blaze King dealer he was asking us our philosophy in heating with wood. We quickly discovered we didn't have one. What he was getting at was he sees two types of buyers in Wisconsin. Those who want to have a stove capable enough of heating the house and having it keep up when we get those -10 degree days, and those who really want to use the wood stove more months out of the year. He was saying that if you go with a model that can keep up with -10 degree days, that it will put out too much heat for those days when it's low to mid 40s in early fall/late spring. Or, you can get a smaller model that won't be able to keep up with -10 degree days but is capable of being used in those early fall/late spring days without overheating the house. We are OK supplementing with our LP boiler system so we said we would rather be able to use it more months out of the year. Otherwise, it sounds like he would have steered us towards the Blaze King princess. He thought the Sirocco 20 was a better fit for heating more months out of the year.

Before talking to him, I thought the Princess would have been the better way to go as we are on the low end of the square footage it's recommended for. Plus, our house was built in the early 80s so it's not as efficient as something built in the past 5 years. He was saying it's better to run a stove harder to keep it at it's max efficiency than to try to restrict the bigger model because it will put out too much heat otherwise. This was the only guy to bring up this kind of approach.

Please let me know what you guys think of those recommendations. Let me know if there are other questions I should be asking.

I have a raised ranch roughly 1200sf up stairs. Living dining room and kitchen all open space with vaulted ceiling. Little different layout than typical raised ranch. You walk right into a living room, my dining room is where normally living room would be and kitchen is where dining room usually is. My house was built in 1994 so fairly well insulated but everything is original. I heat all that with 2.2 cf lopi cape cod inert. Now if I knew then what I know now I would have put a BK 30 series stove downstairs or maybe even a king. BK stoves love to be run low and slow. That's where they shine. So installing huge stove as King would not cook me out of the house but would give me a day or more of meaning full heat on one load. If I was you and wanted to put stove upstairs it would be BK stove 30 series. Don't even bother with 20, there is no benefit for you to go with a smaller stove.

Thanks for the reply. The BK store salesperson seemed to think that if we went with a 30 series or princess that it would be too much heat if we were running it at the optimum level. I honestly didn't totally understand his method behind explaining this as it seems to me like the temperature of the stoves would all get to about the same, just the firebox size would allow for longer burns. The other side of that though is I suppose more surface area on a bigger stove kicks off more heat. So, I guess I still just don't totally understand if what he was describing is accurate or not.

You mention putting a BK 30 series downstairs. In that scenario I see why as you are heating both levels from below. In my situation, I am looking to heat one level with the stove on that level. It would seem a smaller one could be sufficient in my scenario. One other thing is the corner we are putting it in doesn't leave much space for the walk way. So, a smaller stove would help us out there as well.

Looking forward to other's opinions on what size stove makes more sense. Also on the models mentioned in my OP that we are considering.

Do yourself s favor check BK's website and compare the lower spectrum output for both stoves I bet it's minimal. However if you have space issue and the 20 fits you better then it is what it is. Like I said I have 2.2 cf stove now and it works great but I would not hesitate to put a 3 cf stove just for longer burn times and more fire power just in case I need it.

Well I would have to say that the salesman that you talked to was clueless. You can make any stove put out less heat simply by putting less wood in it or by using lower btu content wood. Cat stoves on the other hand like the bk can be run at really low outputs and still burn clean

Hi Bk1- I wouldn't say the sales guy was clueless, he was trying to draw out of you what your goals were- I wouldn't say he was successful though. I'd also think there is no reason (in fact I'd think it is a better choice) why not to go with the Princess, if that's the stove you want. You can run it lower or as someone said with less wood. There are lots of other stoves too, Jotuls such as the F400 or F500 wood stoves would be a good choice. I think the PE super 27 would be as well. There's plenty of great stoves made, but sounds like you want a bk. I think the Princess is a good choice too. The smaller stove would probably heat enough as well, if it's a better fit physically, sounds like you answered the question.... Good luck with your looking.

What length are your 5 cords cut to? Just a thought, what if they are too long for the chosen stove? Also having a larger unit in WI is never a bad idea in my mind.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

Can anyone tell me how much the Blazeking Sirocco 30 and the Blazeking Princess should go for? I mean just the stove itself without the pipe and install etc. The dealer only wants to give a total installed price but his installed price is WAY high compared to the Pacific Energy 27 which is my 2nd choice after a BK unit right now.

After talking to a very nice gentleman from Blazeking, I am in agreement with you Mike M: bigger is the way to go as long as I can make it work in the corner we have chosen. That has me considering the BK Princess in addition to the Sirocco 30.

My dealer wanted $3200 for a base ashford 30. No fans basic black.

Thanks for the info.

Anyone else have an idea what I should be paying for the Sirocco 30 or Princess?

One thing folks said to me over and over when I was looking is that it's easy to put a small fire in a big stove, but you can't put a big fire in a small stove. The statement is sound advice.

My house had been very comfortable at 20 below as well as days when the temps hover between 40 and 50. My big fires have a full load of high btu wood. Little ones might be a small pile of cut offs from the shop or a few splits of lesser wood.

HI BK1 MSRP for a Princess classic (stove, black door and top rails) is about 2650, the SCI 30 with black door cast iron legs with ashpan is around 2900. Good luck with your hunt...

Reactions: Jason763
I have a sirocco 20 in my finished basement. I have 700sqft down there and then a 1200sqft main level with master bedroom then a second floor with 3 bedrooms.

Between the BK and all the windows I have that are southern exposure my heater for the main floor only kicks on once or twice a day when the weather is above 10F. Basement stays a toasty 75-78 main floor 68 - 72. The second floor has its own hvac system. I cant really say how the stove affects it.

HI BK1 MSRP for a Princess classic (stove, black door and top rails) is about 2650, the SCI 30 with black door cast iron legs with ashpan is around 2900. Good luck with your hunt...

Thank you. Is there a MSRP list somewhere?

In the conversation, I think he mentioned that list on the Sirocco 20 was around $1900. So, I was surprised that the quote for everything including installation was around $6500. I know the double wall pipe etc is expensive, but not that expensive. The guy that quoted me the Pacific Energy said to figure $1200 for the pipe and install materials, and $800 for the actual installation. I also need a hearth pad but I believe the basic ones we were looking at were less than $500.

So, I would like to pursue the Blazeking either Sirocco 30 or Princess if I can verify it will fit well in the corner I am looking at. However, this dealer seems to be charging quite a premium.

Thank you. Is there a MSRP list somewhere?

In the conversation, I think he mentioned that list on the Sirocco 20 was around $1900. So, I was surprised that the quote for everything including installation was around $6500. I know the double wall pipe etc is expensive, but not that expensive. The guy that quoted me the Pacific Energy said to figure $1200 for the pipe and install materials, and $800 for the actual installation. I also need a hearth pad but I believe the basic ones we were looking at were less than $500.

So, I would like to pursue the Blazeking either Sirocco 30 or Princess if I can verify it will fit well in the corner I am looking at. However, this dealer seems to be charging quite a premium.

Then by the stove from the BK dealer and get a different installer to install it for you. I would also get a listed price to see why they want $4500 for install and parts. Seems high to me too.

Then by the stove from the BK dealer and get a different installer to install it for you. I would also get a listed price to see why they want $4500 for install and parts. Seems high to me too.

This dealer said he wouldn't get me a listed, or price broken out line by line. He said that other dealers wouldn't install his stuff and he wouldn't install theirs so the only way he prices things out is as a total installed package.

The only reason I got the $1900 out of him was I was questioning him on the price listed on a floor model Ashford model. It was a floor model so cheaper but he was mentioning list prices when I was comparing them and said $1900 for the Sirocco 20.

There are no other dealers close to me or I would just work with another dealer.

You don't need a dealer, Other then to buy the stove. Most Chimney sweeps will do installs as well. That or if your even slightly handy you can install yourself.

But I can say this. No way in a million years would I spend 4k on install with out knowing what they are installing first.

That's a great stove. It's easy to operate and maintain and has a nice burn time. With a good dealer you should be a happy camper.

This dealer said he wouldn't get me a listed, or price broken out line by line. He said that other dealers wouldn't install his stuff and he wouldn't install theirs so the only way he prices things out is as a total installed package.

The only reason I got the $1900 out of him was I was questioning him on the price listed on a floor model Ashford model. It was a floor model so cheaper but he was mentioning list prices when I was comparing them and said $1900 for the Sirocco 20.

There are no other dealers close to me or I would just work with another dealer.
If you mind me asking , which bk dealer was this? I talked to a dealer/installer by Madison yesterday that was very up front with me on the price. He also suggested another option is to buy from him and find a sweep locally to do the install. I'm also in Wisconsin. I've finally made the decision as for a BK. I am now looking for a dealer.

Last edited:
Should have gotten the T6 or Summit >>

If you mind me asking , which bk dealer was this? I talked to a dealer/installer by Madison yesterday that was very up front with me on the price. He also suggested another option is to buy from him and find a sweep locally to do the install. I'm also in Wisconsin. I've finally made the decision as for a BK. I am now looking for a dealer.

I sent you a PM with the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.