1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Help finding a chain for my ms170?

Post in 'The Gear' started by bigbarf48, Apr 26, 2013.

1. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

PS and PS3 are brand-new to market last-year. Unless you've bought chain in that time, you probably picked up a PM variety, which is semi-chisel, not full. You could get yellow-label (non-safety) PM chain (.050 gauge) which was fantastic chain for 35-45cc saws but I think that has been disc. by Stihl. :( If you bought for your 192, .043 guage, then green label semi-chisel is all I have ever seen available from Stihl in .043.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    It was a safety chain all I know and yep one choice!
  3. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

I have used Carlton LP semi-chisel non-safety for years on smaller Stihl and Echo saws. Wood'Pro 30LP at Baileys is rebranded Carlton non-safety LP (same size as Stihl picco 0.050 gauge). Its good stuff. In picco narrow (PMN) 0.043 gauge, Baileys also has the equivalent Wood'Pro 34LP non-safety chain in loops or in rolls.
  4. bigbarf48

bigbarf48 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Stone Mountain GA
    Here ya go mastermech. Sorry bout the iPhone rotation

image.jpg
    MasterMech likes this.
  5. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Yah, that is a Stihl 16" 0.043 picco narrow kerf bar for use with with 55 drive link narrow kerf picco or low profile chains.

Baileys WoodlandPro/Carlton 34LP-55 drive link non-safety semi-chisel 16" loops will fit it. Also Oregon 90SG-55 link safety semi loops, Oregon 90-S-55 non-safety semi loops, or Stihl 61PMN-55 safety semi loops will all fit.
  6. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Thank You!

61PMM3-55 is the most current part #. StihlHead's Stihl part # is also correct, just his part number has been superseded.