1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

HELP for a newb....

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by geppapa, Dec 2, 2012.

1. geppapa

geppapa New Member

Loc:
    West Lebanon, NH
    I have a Harman p61 (manual start) and have been burning Energex Pellets. Recently the pellets have not been burning completely and is burning behind the burn pot (flames are not coming just straight up). I'm a total newb this season. I have had no other issues and this is puzzling to me. I have noticed that its struggling to keep the heat up as it was in weeks prior. What am I doing wrong? Is it just because it's winter cold and no longer fall cool? Thanks for your patience in advance :)

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Cliff

Cliff Member

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    It seems like you have no mechanical issues, I would say tear it down and CLEAN-CLEAN IT and then it should be good to go
    sounds like you need more draft

Cliff
  3. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    What are your settings on the panel?
  4. geppapa

geppapa New Member

Loc:
    West Lebanon, NH
    I am going to clean tomorrow. I was thinking that, it's been a couple of weeks of hard use since last.

My settings:
    room temperature thermostat
    feed - 3
    temp - 80
    blower - mid

thanks guys!
  5. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    Def start with a good cleaning. Clean the ESP. Try putting the feed rate on 4. Is your room sensor real close to the stove? If you put it on 90° does it come to life?
  6. geppapa

geppapa New Member

Loc:
    West Lebanon, NH
    The sensor is extended all the way, not close tot he stove. I put it on hot and it seems to sputter. I pull the blower down and the temp down and its seems to be more effective. Up until Friday Pm it was humming, no problems. I think your right, a good cleaning will work a miracle. My first season, I guess it's part of the learning process.
    Thanks!!
  7. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    Are you using an OAK? Check for obstructions. If not, check the inlet for the same.
  8. geppapa

geppapa New Member

Loc:
    West Lebanon, NH
    No OAK, lined through the chimney. I'll check for obstructions.
    Thanks!
  9. geppapa

geppapa New Member

Loc:
    West Lebanon, NH
    BTW, all it needed was a nice cleaning. We are cleaning once every 2 weeks. That keeps her going well. Thanks!
  10. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Mass & Lakes Region of Maine
    It shouldnt need it that often but if you are up and running...thats whats important. Set the feed rate on 4 and forget it. As a newbie, have you read the thread in my signature yet?
  11. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Your deflector plate needs to sit nice and snug in the notches. If not, the flame will appear to be coming up from the back of the burn pot.
  12. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

yup...flame guide, harman part # 3-00-08534......$20-$30 from your wonderful local Harman dealer.......