HELP! Getting Chimney Pipe Thru Offset Joists

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Godchaser

Oct 28, 2015
WV
I should be sitting in front of a fire right now. Unfortunately, that will have to wait until tomorrow. As we cut into the ceiling to install the cathedral ceiling box, we made the grim discovery that the ceiling joists are offset from the roof joists by a few inches. The only possible solution I see is to trim down the ceiling box and then use a couple 15 degree offsets to get around the roof joist. Also, would I need to have a short piece of chimney pipe from the box first. I thought I read somewhere you cannot run the offsets directly from the box.

I should be sitting in front of a fire right now. Unfortunately, that will have to wait until tomorrow. As we cut into the ceiling to install the cathedral ceiling box, we made the grim discovery that the ceiling joists are offset from the roof joists by a few inches. The only possible solution I see is to trim down the ceiling box and then use a couple 15 degree offsets to get around the roof joist. Also, would I need to have a short piece of chimney pipe from the box first. I thought I read somewhere you cannot run the offsets directly from the box.

You are probably gong to have to modify the framing it is pretty common to run into issues like this

Status
Not open for further replies.