Help I.D. Rais Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SMF

Jul 1, 2014
Bay Area, CA
Hello all. New to the forum, came across it while trying to find information on a Rais Stove that is for sale at a local home salvage yard.

Can someone help ID the model? I've been looking on Rais sites both in the US and international. It's not a current item and it's not in discontinued items. Also used the wayback machine to check as far back as 2000, but the snapshots are iffy and not all the info is there.
2014-06-29%2014.56.43.jpg

Sorry for the horrible picture, it was kinda wedged in a corner, so I couldn't get a straight shot of it. Anyhow, the asking is $1000, but it's been there a while, so I could probably get it for a bit less.

Any information or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Have you checked the back of the stove for a UL label? That should show the model and probably a date for it's age. In general Rais is known for making good stoves.

I wasn't able to check the back. It's currently still hanging out at the salvage yard.

Any ideas on even the year? Any other resource I can check?

Thanks.

1990s would be just a guess based on the style. The testing label on the back of the stove is the best bet.

Don't know this model, but we have one that must be from around the same time because some of the parts on ours are quite similar to this one. I bought ours in 1992 and it was new but the last they had in stock of a discontinued line of stoves. They are very, very well constructed and heat like crazy. It was Rais-Wittus back then, and they develop and build high-quality stoves.

Thanks all. Hoping to get it for under the asking ($1k), assuming it works. Seems like that is a fair price. My only concern is those grilles you see at the top, two of them are missing. Wonder how hard it would be to source those parts. I suppose once I get all the info, I can contact Rais and see.

Those little grills would not be hard to have made. Not at all. Or, if you're handy, you can weld some up yourself. Very simple. And, I've called Rais twice over the years needing some info or a part and they've been very helpful. The grills are cosmetic, covering the space between the wall of the stove and the jacket. At least that is how mine is set up, and it appears that one you're looking at is similar. But I'd want them, too. Their missing should be a case for a bit of a discount on the price. My stove, which is a bit different from that one in that mine has an oven but not a glass window in the door, I believe retailed for something like $3500. It has been 22 yr. so I may be off a bit. But Rais gave me a discount since this was a discontinued model. So, if this one is in good shape except for the missing grill, something around a grand isn't too bad a price.

It appears from your photo that there is an ash dump/pan below the firebox. If so, check the condition of the grate. On my stove, there is a round opening in the bottom of the firebox, and a grate/shaker gizmo sits in that hole and is adjustable to control air intake. On my stove, it is cast metal and a lever on it broke off. I had to have a buddy weld it back together. Rais did not have any to send me.

Status
Not open for further replies.