HELP I DID A THING! i1200insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So if I'm eager I can pass the inspection by pushing the stove all the way inside the fireplace.

Good to know. I'll just wait and think. it's all nice brick work under that brown wood trim

Would it be worth it for me to pay out insurance and be considered for full time burner and then buy all the wood I'd need...5-6 cords ($50/cord) and try to run 24/7 as much as I can with this stove insert?

How many cords could fit in a 24'x12' shed 8' ceiling.

Edit* this would be for next year, stove is not even installed yet. I'm just trying to get a grasp on cost/efficiency from people who use lots.

Sounds like an 18 cord shed if packed to the gills. You might want to set up bays so that you can have wood in there for 3 yr rotations. That is, fresh wood, 1 yr seasoned and 2 yr seasoned.

if you have another heat source list the wood as secondary. The insurer will probably ask how many cord a year you will burn and you tell them what it will be.

Now $50 a cord must be face cords. And in my locale 5-6 face cord would never see me through a winter. In my house I burn about 3-5 real cord. 9-15 face cord.

What is wood selling for a full cord in your area?

Last edited:
$150-270 are the prices I've seen. From pine on the low end to birch on the high end, with straight fir being slightly less than birch and various other local species and mixtures of all at different price points between. I assumed face chords as realistically I can't see that anyone is selling full chords for $50cdn.

Those would be delivered prices. I watch the wood market here closely and have bought a couple of chords this year to try a couple of different suppliers out. Before this year I'd only ever bought a pickup box of wood for $80 about fifteen years ago. All the rest of the wood I've burned my whole life has been gotten for free. After buying a couple this year I am going to renew my efforts to get out to the woods and get well stocked again. I'm pretty picky at this point.

On the low end of the scale the sellers I contacted either never called me back or wouldn't commit to a delivery. I played 'change the day' with one seller for about a week before I pulled the pin on that game.

How many cords could fit in a 24'x12' shed 8' ceiling.

Here most face cord are 8ft long x 4ft high x 16 in. deep, so if you cover the 12ft x 24ft floor with 4ft high face cords you can put in 27 face cords. You could go 5 or 6 feet high if you wanted to. That would be 9 face cords per year for 3 years. Around here it is about $100.00 for a face cord of mixed seasoned hardwoods ( not always ready to burn yet) and around $70.00 for soft which more often than not is still green.

I normally get my wood delivered in May so I can stack it and air it out early, normally it is ready to start burning in November.

Last edited:
Whereabouts in our vast nation are you Attaboy?

I mix some ashes in with the compost all year, scatter some on the garden in the spring, use some for ice melt in the winter, and use the rest for fill. I also scatter them around my mulberries to help counteract all the acidic pine needles they have to eat.

If you want to use it for fill, mix it with water first. Coals can live in the middle for weeks.

Whereabouts in our vast nation are you Attaboy?

South of Montreal, 30 minutes away from Champlain, NY which is right across the border.

Reactions: Squisher