Help, I need an insert with great heating capacity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvs14

Oct 24, 2010
ohio
It seems that it is easier to get more btus from a pedestal stove. I have a large rectangular fire opening, but most inserts are fairly small. Can I just take the pedestal off of one of the freestanding stoves and shove it in my current opening?

The Buck 91 is nice, but squatty, so it won’t be proportional….. Can I take the pedestal off of some of these stoves.

I m looking t the Napoleon 1900.

This is hard to say without getting some information about the room size and the area that is being heated. What is the fireplace opening size? There are several 3 cu ft inserts out there that will match the 1900's size.

For an insert 3.0 cu. ft. is HUGE! Small ones are 1.5-1.9 , bigger are 2.1-2.3 , BIG are 2.5-3.0

We have an 1850 farm house with double brick for walls

Its awesome in the summer. Because big trees keep it cool. But big trees and no insulation equals HAPPY PROPANE SUPPLIER. In winter

I am tired of giving them my money. I have a buck 74. I want something atleast that powerful.

The 1900 says it will heat up to 3500 feet. We have 3500 feet, but 11 foot ceilings and no insulation.

Any thoughts will help.

rook14 said:
We have an 1850 farm house with double brick for walls

Any thoughts will help.

Insulate?

We need to know more about the fireplace dimensions to make insert recommendations. Also, is the Buck 74 on a separate independent flue?

Addressing the heat leakage will make the biggest comfort return for the dollar spent, especially in a large home. That should also be considered as part of the plan.

Rook

Welcome to the forums.

First and foremost, the best way to save some money is to spend a bit of money and insulate your walls properly. WInd blowing through and old house is like heating with the windows open. It can be done, however, it's not overly efficient.

If insulating is not an option and you want a big stove that heats well, look at the OSburn 2400. I personally have my doubts that a stove can heat 3500 sqft. How will the heat transfer throughout the entire house???? I know that's what the rating is however I fail to see how a 3.0 cuft firebox will heat 3500 sqft!! Perhaps I am pessimistic. The Osburn 2400 has a larger firebox and is rated to heat 2700 sqft.
http://www.osburn-mfg.com/product.aspx?CategoId=1&Id=512

The 2400 insert is a monster size and like BeGreen said, there are several models out there that will match in size.
http://www.osburn-mfg.com/product.aspx?CategoId=1&Id=512
Andrew

The Avalon Olympic is the biggest insert I have seen, the firebox is a bit over 3 cubic feet I believe, and Avalon make some nice stoves. I have trouble believing that any single stove will satisfactorily heat such a large and uninsulated house. If insulating isn't an option maybe you could add a second stove.

Love of old architecture doesn't allow for insulation of walls. Believe it or not, it is not real drafty. previous owner sealed windows and doors fairly well. I like the Osborn. But I have an almost square firebox that is pretty big and a freestanding stove with shortened legs or no legs would look a lot more proportional. We have 2 chimneys, so the 74 is in the other chimney. It was pro installed, so i stole lots of ideas.

Thanks for the look and ideas.

rook14 said:
It seems that it is easier to get more btus from a pedestal stove. I have a large rectangular fire opening, but most inserts are fairly small. Can I just take the pedestal off of one of the freestanding stoves and shove it in my current opening?

The Buck 91 is nice, but squatty, so it won’t be proportional….. Can I take the pedestal off of some of these stoves.

I m looking t the Napoleon 1900.

Is the fireplace opening big enough to hold a freestanding stove WITH the legs?

The Avalon Olympic is the biggest insert I have seen, the firebox is a bit over 3 cubic feet I believe, and Avalon make some nice stoves. I have trouble believing that any single stove will satisfactorily heat such a large and uninsulated house. If insulating isn’t an option maybe you could add a second stove

I think Kuma makes the biggest insert, its USA made, 3.6 cu ft firebox, you need a good size opening.

http://kumastoves.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=25

Regency I3100 or the large jotul are the biggest I've seen. We really like our Regency I3100 - puts out tons of heat.

weatherguy said:
The Avalon Olympic is the biggest insert I have seen, the firebox is a bit over 3 cubic feet I believe, and Avalon make some nice stoves. I have trouble believing that any single stove will satisfactorily heat such a large and uninsulated house. If insulating isn’t an option maybe you could add a second stove

I think Kuma makes the biggest insert, its USA made, 3.6 cu ft firebox, you need a good size opening.

The Kuma is big, but I think Buck makes the biggest with the 91 and 94 models at 4.4 cu ft. These very large inserts need an 8" liner though and a boatload of wood to fill them.

weatherguy said:

That Kuma is pretty nice looking too. Takes an 8" pipe though. So does the large Country insert, Canyon.

rook14 said:
Love of old architecture doesn't allow for insulation of walls. Believe it or not, it is not real drafty. previous owner sealed windows and doors fairly well. I like the Osborn. But I have an almost square firebox that is pretty big and a freestanding stove with shortened legs or no legs would look a lot more proportional. We have 2 chimneys, so the 74 is in the other chimney. It was pro installed, so i stole lots of ideas.

Thanks for the look and ideas.

Go for another Buck 74 and you'll have $3 and some change. :)

The Kuma is big, but I think Buck makes the biggest with the 91 and 94 models at 4.4 cu ft. These very large inserts need an 8” liner though and a boatload of wood to fill them.

I forgot the Kuma takes an 8 inch, was thinking 6 inch for some reason.

The thread title is misleading. From rook's posts they don't want an insert, they want to install a freestanding stove. Still no fireplace dimensions after two requests. The title seems like it should be, "Can I use the Napoleon 1900 as a hearth stove and cut down the height"?

weatherguy said:

I know he checked these out already but, size wise, the Country Flame BBF is 3.9 cu ft.

Chargerman said:
I know he checked these out already but, size wise, the Country Flame BBF is 3.9 cu ft.

8" is the problem - he needs a biggie with a 6" pipe.

How bout an Englander 30?

If this is with the 35 ft flue, he might just be able to run an 8" stove on 6". I would contact the manufacturer and ask.

The Jotul 550 is 3cuft if memory serves and it fits a fairly small fireplace imo... however I doubt it would heat our entire house (2400, I think) but jury is still out on that in addition to the block off plate which would help (dont have one yet).

Based on your house & comments a stove may not be much more efficient as you think. Keep in mind insert have blowers that recapture a lot of heat from around the unit.

I work for a manufacturer (Osburn, Enerzone, Drolet etc...) and while most manufacturers try to list the Cu Ft of usable space, others will list their fire box without bricks and/or baffle. Since no one ever operates a unit without these items these numbers are misleading.

Buy the biggest unit that will fit in your opening.

However, have you considered a wood burning or wood/oil combo furnace. The Max Caddy will do nicely in your situation.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.