help ID an older jotul stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave P

Hearth Supporter
Aug 22, 2007
I came by an older jotul wood stove. The best way I can describe it is it looks like one of those Easter Island heads. It has a large center door that swings down. I looked for a number and found maybe a number 4?
I would appreciate any info on this stove.

Thanks to all,
Dave

Believe that is the old number 3 CombiFire.

I've heated my house with a Combifire 4 for the last few winters. It heats up fast, very esy to use, could get it to go through the night with big hard wood and still have coals to light in the morn. The door opens down and slides under for open fire viewing if you have the screen. I would still be using it but I came across a deal for a Woodstock Soapstone stove that I could not refuse. If you want any more info, PM me. Great stove for it's era!!

Thanks to all for the information. What does Combifire mean? I'm guessing ability to burn coal?

Thanks again,

Dave
jpl1nh, sent you a PM

Dave P said:
Thanks to all for the information. What does Combifire mean? I'm guessing ability to burn coal?

Thanks again,

Dave
jpl1nh, sent you a PM
No, it's not a coal burning stove. Jotul had a "combifire" series which I believe referred to the ability to use it as a closed wood stove or an open door "fireplace"

Thanks again for answering my dumb questions.Very glad to have found this site.

Now comes the time to pick your brains on the best way to hook this thing up to my manufactured fireplace(Security).
I assume I cut the damper in the fireplace then cover opening with metal and pipe the stove through. I would appreciate any tips from those of you who have gone down this road. What gauge steel should I have cut? What other materials would work as cover plates? Would it be possible to just cover the glass door area?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave P said:
Thanks again for answering my dumb questions.Very glad to have found this site.

Now comes the time to pick your brains on the best way to hook this thing up to my manufactured fireplace(Security).
I assume I cut the damper in the fireplace then cover opening with metal and pipe the stove through. I would appreciate any tips from those of you who have gone down this road. What gauge steel should I have cut? What other materials would work as cover plates? Would it be possible to just cover the glass door area?

Thanks,

Dave

Bad News Dave... The general rule of thumb is that you shouldn't be trying to install a wood stove into a prefab fireplace, especially one that uses a manufacturer specific chimney, and / or a so-called "Zero Clearance" (ZC) firebox. These units are carefully designed to work with the heat distribution and airflows involved with a normal fire, and aren't tested for use with a woodstove except for those that are specifically listed as acceptable (not many) As a result the Codes don't usually allow such an install.

Gooserider

Thanks Gooserider, I was hoping that by keeping the stove outside the firebox with just the flue pipe from the stove contained in the fireplace that I could use this Jotul. Guess I need to come up with a new plan.

Dave P

Status
Not open for further replies.