Help identifying stove manufacturer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

j6m6

Hearth Supporter
Mar 14, 2010
ny
I recently moved into a house that has a wood stove. The stove is not piped through the roof. I would like to install it so I can use it but I can not find any markings, names or serial numbers on the stove. I need to know the name and specs so I can get a permit to install it. If anyone has an idea of what company manufactured this stove or any info about it I would greatly appreciate it.

if no label it defaults to nfpa 211 national fire protection ass. codes.
www.nfpa.org.
National Fire Protection Associatiion (NFPA) 211: Standard for Chimneys, Fireplaces, Vents, and Solid Fuel-Burning Appliances; 2006 Edition (EXCERPTS)
Reprinted with permission from NFPA 211- 2006, Standard for Chimneys, Fireplaces, Vents, and Solid Fuel-Burning Appliances, Copyright© 2005, National Fire Protection Association, Quincy, MA. This reprinted material is not complete and official position of the NFPA on the referenced subject, which is represented only by the standard in its entirety.
http://www.hpba.org/builders-designers/construction-tips-and-standards

ps, looks like its closer than 12" to combustibles, as measured thru the brick ??
12" min stove to wall if the brick has properly installed air gap.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
www.nfpa.org.
National Fire Protection Associatiion (NFPA) 211: Standard for Chimneys, Fireplaces, Vents, and Solid Fuel-Burning Appliances; 2006 Edition (EXCERPTS)
Reprinted with permission from NFPA 211- 2006, Standard for Chimneys, Fireplaces, Vents, and Solid Fuel-Burning Appliances, Copyright© 2005, National Fire Protection Association, Quincy, MA. This reprinted material is not complete and official position of the NFPA on the referenced subject, which is represented only by the standard in its entirety.

ps, looks like its closer than 12" to combustibles, as measured thru the brick ??

It is 18" from the brick. Does this mean that if it does not have a tag or label it is not up to code?

Not having a tag or label has nothing to do with code.. code just covers the INSTALLATION. If there is no tag or label to tell you otherwise, you do a "default" install using NFPA requirements. They are what will make your install attain "code".

For instance NFPA says 36" to combustibles but my stove manual allows 10" with heat shield. But you only know that IF you can find the manual for THAT stove.

If you need to do almost anything to get that thing installed to NFPA specs, you might think about going with a newer stove.

j6m6 said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
www.nfpa.org.

It is 18" from the brick. Does this mean that if it does not have a tag or label it is not up to code?

If this is solid 3.5" brick, then a 33% clearance reduction is possible. For an unlisted stove, that requires 24" from the combustible surface. With a proper NFPA wall shield the distance can be as low as 12". But the space behind the wall must be ventilated.

Here is a chart for possible reductions.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/NFPA_Wall_Clearance_Reductions/
For more info:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/stove_wall_clear

if there is no UL tag on the back can I legally install this stove? there are no tags or numbers anywhere on the stove.

PS thanks for the replies

That's an interesting looking old stove. Are the round brass-colored knobs functional? Are they air controls? Looks like the on/off and three-speed controls for the blower are in the bottom panel. Have you pulled it out some and looked on the back for a data plate? They're commonly found on the back of the stove, or the back of the rear heat shield. Since that thing has a blower, I figure it has a rear heat shield. In any case, if it can't be identified, then (as others have said) your only recourse would be to default to the NFPA 211 standard (not a code, unless your local Authority Having Jurisdiction sez so). Likely it's a pre-EPA burner, but I don't know that for sure. That would mean there are places where installation wouldn't be legal...dunno about where you live. Too many unanswered questions about the surrounding materials and stuff to say whether or not the stove could be safely hooked up and burned where your pic shows it sitting. What's behind the bricks? An air space, or a wall full of combustible materials? What's that metal-looking thing on the left? What's that in the brick in the lower right corner by where the wires are laying? A pic of the thing from farther back to give a wider view of the situation would be really helpful. If it were me, I think I'd be seriously considering just going with a newer stove if I were looking into becoming a woodburner. Welcome to the forums! Rick

It should be ok as long as NFPA guidelines are followed. But ultimately it's up to your insurance company and the permitting body to make the determination.

j6m6 said:
if there is no UL tag on the back can I legally install this stove? there are no tags or numbers anywhere on the stove.

We can't answer that question. It's gotta be directed to your local authority. Where I live, that stove would have to be scrapped. Rick

UPDATE: inside the stove I found the inscription "HH-1856" on both sides of the stove. Any idea what this represents?

j6m6 said:

you couldn't pull a permit for it in my county, they haven't allowed non epa installs here since 2001.
check with your local building dept.....

Status
Not open for further replies.