1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Help in choosing a tekmar thermostat

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by webie, Nov 12, 2013.

1. webie

webie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Wow been pulling my hair out trying to research the right tekmar thermostat for my application and I could really use some input .
    First off this is what I am controlling and doing .
    This installation is in my large sunroom 640 sq. ft . and of course is a heating nightmare . Gain during the day and major losses at night . We only use this room on the weekends. I have radiant in floor heat I was setting the floor down to 40 during the week and crankin it up to sometimes 95 on the weekend and of course always guessing . There are two other sources of heat for the room a pellet stove for heat and show and a couple of wall heaters , all of which are shut down during the week and at night . I am currently using a tekmar 150 setpoint controller . I am looking for to replace that with one that controls the floor temperature by the air temperature so I can control the below freezing during the week with out wasting a whole lot of energy ( namely my back for cutting more wood ) . It would be a little nicer to control the air temp by the floor temp rather than me having to keep changing the floor temp . A multi stage controller has been a thought but certainly not necessary the wall heaters are hot water also on there own zone .
    I really could use some help in choosing the right one or if someone can point me in a direction for some assistance . There seem to be several different models that would work but am unsure of the differences and what would be the smartest choice . This does not have to be programable thermostat just a simple up or down design will work but must be able to be set wayback to just above freezing , 35 would be good .
    Thanks in advance

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. altmartion

altmartion Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    pulaski ny
    are you just looking for a normal t-stat? I guess I am confused at what you are looking to control. why not just a staging t-stat. I know you mentioned it but...?
  3. altmartion

Loc:
    pulaski ny
    are you looking to have both the floor sensor and the "air sensor?
  4. webie

webie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Yes looking for both floor sensor and air sensor . I will need to be able to set a min. and max. floor temp while being able to set the air temp .
  5. altmartion

Loc:
    pulaski ny
    are you close to your water temp design point?
  6. lotawood

lotawood Member

Loc:
    montana
    I have a tekmar 508 that I got from pex supply. I only use it with floor sensing. It can be used with air only,floor only and air/floor.
    Look on the Pexsupply.com web site and look at the manuals.
  7. webie

webie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks lotawood . That model looks to be discontinued . The replacement is said to be a 518 which I have marked and I also have been looking at the 510 and 512 multitage .
  8. altmartion

Loc:
    pulaski ny
    out curiosity, what makes you stuck on tekmar?
  9. webie

webie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Not stuck on tekmar . open to any brand that will work .
  10. McKraut

McKraut Member

Loc:
    South Central PA
    Do you have experience with TEKMAR, or do you know somebody with experience? I need help with a problem and I can't get any help from TEKMAR.

Bob
  11. altmartion

Loc:
    pulaski ny
    I don't use tekmar much anymore and haven't in 5 years or so. I will try to help or point you in the right direction.
  12. McKraut

McKraut Member

Loc:
    South Central PA
    I just installed a TEKMAR 401 controller and I have some questions about how the primary and secondary boilers are controlled and how to change parameters. Do you know who I can talk to to get some help?

Bob
  13. altmartion

Loc:
    pulaski ny
    my dealer stopped selling them last year and I don't know if anyone there knows much about them. I may have a manual in my office. I have to go there later on and will look.
  14. McKraut

McKraut Member

Loc:
    South Central PA
    Hi,
    Did you get a chance to see if you have the manual?

Bob
  15. altmartion

Loc:
    pulaski ny
    Bob[/quote]
    crap!! i am so sorry. i totally forgot about it. send me your email and i will get it to you.
  16. altmartion

Loc:
    pulaski ny
  17. webie

webie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    I just purchased the 519 . Thanks
  18. McKraut

McKraut Member

Loc: