Help in CT? Blower door alternatives, and fluorescent tube to LED?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edge-of-the-woods

Feeling the Heat
Nov 21, 2014
Hamden, CT USA
Hi there, just discovered this part of the forum!

So we have a ranch house that was built in the late 50's, and the attic insulation is shot. We can't qualify for an energy audits and rebates, though, because there is vermiculite insulation under the old fiberglass batts in the attic. There is a CT state law that says that ANY vermiculite had to be treated as if it contains asbestos...so we can't get an energy audit, because the contractors refuse to do a blower test if there might be asbestos.

Do we have any alternatives to spending $6k - $10k to abate the asbestos, and then re-insulate? That figure is for asbestos removal alone.

The house is also mostly lit with fluorescent tubes, some of which are starting to fail (bulbs and fixtures). I would like to replace with LED's, but don't know if these ballasts are the kind that can take the new LED tubes or not.

Lastly, the house has an attached greenhouse, and I was wondering if anyone had tips on how to help insulate that against the CT winters. I am sure we lose a lot of heat out there. We can't just close it off for the winter, it's both full of plants, and that's also where the dog-door is that lets our dogs out while we're at work.

Thanks in advance!

You might not be able to get a blower door, but the other portions of the audit should still be available.

And what do you mean your insulation is shot? Dirty? Compressed? Usually it still insulates for you.

You may be better off replacing the entire fixture instead of trying to put in an LED tube. Not that I am against them, but the quality is all over the place, as is the color output.

You may want to move your plants and put in a new dog door... Greenhouses aren't easy to keep warm when its dark and windy out. Aside from multi-pane glass or making an additional air barrier, you will have a lot of heat loss. Even top notch glass is worse than a poorly insulated wall from a heat loss standpoint.

Thanks for that! I have been looking for some kind of dimmable replacement bulb for the tube fixtures, because a lot of them are on the same circuit, and it would be nice to be able to dim them down, instead of at full brightness. I was looking at these on Amazon, but don't see too many reviews.

I like these units because it looks like I would just need to remove the ballasts and do some basic wiring, and then replace a regular switch with a dimmer switch.

http://www.amazon.com/Fulight-Dimmable¤-LED-Tube-Light/dp/B00V5X32CE

Just made an appointment with Dr. Energy Saver to have them come out and do an energy audit, minus the blower test. Thanks!!

I remember raking vermiculite into the attic with my Dad back in the 70s. Ah, memories.

I say pay to get it tested by a pro lab. I don't know the protocol....sample a few different locations? The lab will tell you what to do. If the lab says its clear can you get a permit for DIY removal and disposal, or cheaper non-hazmat removal?

While asbestos is serious, there are no credible reports of asbestos related disease (mesothelioma) in homeowners of asbestos-containing properties...only in people who work with the material occupationally.

That's good advice and thank you, but we have been told that state decision overrides any testing that we might get done. They say that the tests are unreliable, and samples may be taken from one area that didn't contain asbestos, while another area might have been insulated with bags that did contain it. There's a trust for getting help with removal, and I am going to contact them about this. They will look at a sample, and if they determine we're eligible from that, they'll pay half the removal costs, up to $4,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.