HELP! Lennox Canyon 310, Alderlea T6, Jotul 600 or Quad 5700

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildlandfirefighterswife

Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2010
Utah
We have a large home, constructed 3 stories with ICF. Our basement is 3000 sq. ft.(9' ceilings), main is 3000 (9-15' ceiling)and up is another 1400(9' Ceilings). The basement is just framed and fitted with 6" triple wall through the side of the home @ 6' and the flue is about 25'

I have read many posts here and am still wondering which of these large stoves will be right. I know it won't heat the whole home, but want it to supplement the furnace and have the ability to heat if we loose power. There is a large intake for the furnace in the hall just outside the basement landing and I think I can use the furnace blower to help distribute the heat when wanted. The Alderlea is the highest rated BTU 97,000 with the Lennox coming in right behind at 84,500, the Jotul 81,500 and the Quad 70,300. I just don't know how much weight to put on those ratings. All have blowers around 125 CFM with the exception of the Lennox with 700CFM. I also don't know what is best for our situation as far as the way each stove actually works, radiant etc. We will be burning quakie, cedar and a little oak. I have not had a wood stove since I was a kid and that was QUITE a few years ago! I got a GREAT quote on a Defiant, but not sure that is going to be a hot enough stove for us. So if anyone has any words of wisdom for me to draw upon - I would appreciate the input. I probably needed a big Blaze King or Hearthstone Exuinox but am stuck with the 6" pipe.
Thanks, Carol

I will let others advise on a stove, but I thought the Mormon Tabernacle already had a heating system. :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:
I will let others advise on a stove, but I thought the Mormon Tabernacle already had a heating system. :coolsmirk:

Bart, you always have a good sense of humor. The best one yet is how you place your pellets N/S in the pellet stove. haha

Very funny, but, we are not even Mormon ;) It really doesn't seem as big as it sounds, lol! We are at 4400 finished - have along way to go on the Tabernacle!

You really have a situation where you get the one ya wanna look at. The heat they throw will not be perceptively different in a space like that. And they are all well built high quality stoves.

BrotherBart said:
You really have a situation where you get the one ya wanna look at. The heat they throw will not be perceptively different in a space like that. And they are all well built high quality stoves.
so the 20- 30K BTU rating difference really does not mean much? The quote on the Defiant was great - will it work as well as the T6? BTW - We won't be looking at it for a long time to come.

Look at the firebox size, not manufacturer's BTU claims. A big ass load of wood heats a stove and that heat goes out into the room. Period. Manufacturer's BTU numbers are what they achieved standing in front of the stove tossing wood into it like they were feeding the boiler in a freight train. In their chosen lab setting. Totally unrealistic for burning in a stove to heat your house.

I had a Country or Lennox Canyon 310. My space was much smaller though. You could get heat in 15-30 minutes. The output was amazing, you could put a huge pile of wood in there and burn for hours and hours. The blower was super strong, they have come out with an auto setting which allows you to set it and forget it, when it cools below a certain point it shuts off.

BrotherBart said:
Look at the firebox size, not manufacturer's BTU claims. A big ass load of wood heats a stove and that heat goes out into the room. Period. Manufacturer's BTU numbers are what they achieved standing in front of the stove tossing wood into it like they were feeding the boiler in a freight train. In their chosen lab setting. Totally unrealistic for burning in a stove to heat your house.
Thats what I was looking for :) Thanks!
I know I need the Equinox - can't - get - there- from - here :( darned 6" pipe!

Well after all that, we ended up with a Englander 30-NC. Was a screaming deal at HD for $600! Figure if it doesn't give off enough heat, we could probably sell it for close to that. Bought a splitter with the money we saved on a stove. Been busy collecting wood too - we now have about 6 cords 1/2 is oak!

Congratulations. Time for a tshirt and a signature update!

i thought the Blaze King, King, with a 40 hr burn would have been mentioned someplace. is there a problem with that one? Or is it just too large a pipe with the 8in collar.

cass

tcassavaugh said:
i thought the Blaze King, King, with a 40 hr burn would have been mentioned someplace. is there a problem with that one? Or is it just too large a pipe with the 8in collar.

cass
Yep :(
The pipe was already installed when we purchased the home. If it doesn't work out, we may have to upgrade. We thought we would see how this does this winter :)

Carol said:
tcassavaugh said:

cass
The pipe was already installed when we purchased the home. If it doesn't work out, we may have to upgrade. We thought we would see how this does this winter :)

Congrats on the NC-30 it's a great stove for the money however heating a space that large would take 2 of those stoves or a wood furnace/boiler in my opinion.. I don't know what the climate is like in Utah (I am geographically challenged) but if it's mild who knows maybe the NC-30 will do the trick..

Ray

i thought you would be able to neck the BK down to a 6". what would be the issue with that especially if you did it right where it came out.

cass

tcassavaugh said:
i thought you would be able to neck the BK down to a 6". what would be the issue with that especially if you did it right where it came out.

cass
We debated on that many times over. Our local BK dealer would not warranty the stove if we did that :(

raybonz said:
Carol said:
tcassavaugh said:

cass

Congrats on the NC-30 it's a great stove for the money however heating a space that large would take 2 of those stoves or a wood furnace/boiler in my opinion.. I don't know what the climate is like in Utah (I am geographically challenged) but if it's mild who knows maybe the NC-30 will do the trick..

Ray
Hi Ray,
Yes, you are right. Our goal was to be able to heat the basement where all the plumbing is in case of power outages and hopefully supplement the main floor by using the blower on the furnace to circulate the heat. As far as heating the whole house, that is doubtful. We will have to use our furnace, but hopefully not as much. We have 2 one for the upper floor and a large one for the basement and main floor. It gets to around 100 in the summer and a occasional dip below 0 in the winter here, but the house is very well insulated(ICB construction). We have not had to turn on the A/C here by opening the windows at night and closing before it warms up. Stays below 78 degrees on the main floor and in the high 60's in the basement - upstairs gets to about 80-82, but we don't have to be up there :)
Thanks for your posts!

I think you may be fine in the winter with a 1st floor fan blowing down the stairs into the basement. It's good to hear the ICB is working well for you. If I built new that is a technique I would strongly consider.

BeGreen said:
I think you may be fine in the winter with a 1st floor fan blowing down the stairs into the basement. It's good to hear the ICB is working well for you. If I built new that is a technique I would strongly consider.
The stove is in the basement diagonal from the double doors that lead to the staircase where the HUGE intake for the furnace is. I am hoping it should work well as the heat rises, the blower will be able to work with the flow, nothing is certain until it is put into motion in a few months! We have not actually hooked it up yet, but lit it off once before we brought her in :)

Well, I was heating just over 2000 sq feet with a VC Vigilant up until last season. Just bought a new F600 and I am hoping to heat the additional 400 sq feet above the garage.

All the heat just rises through the basement door and rises through the house. With your furnace blower you should do just fine.

Definitely interested in how that 30 works in that space for you. This will be my first season with the stove, too. Amazing price, wasn't it?!?!?

will have to wait for it to get a little below a daytime high of 90 degrees before we fire it up, lol!

So what's your gas bill like, with 4400 sq ft of ICF? Your electric bill must be pretty satisfying in the summer. I just got mine today, and really don't want to open it :ahhh:

And wouldn't it take a couple of weeks for your pipes to freeze? That's a long power outage.

7400 sq ft total. I'm wondering how many people are living there.

Status
Not open for further replies.