Help me decide, PE Vista or Super 27?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oregonrider

Hearth Supporter
I Really like the build quality of the PEs for the money. Vista for $850 Super27 for $1050. 1000sf house, poorly insulated. Will be replacing my Schrader smoke dragon. I like the size of the Vista but know it won't go all night. The 27 will but I'm tired of the Schrader dominating my living room. It's 36" H and 28" square. Place half way down my 13'x25' living room. Please give me your thoughts. Roben.

you can get a brand new Vista for $850? i've only ever priced a Pacific and a Summit but $850 for a Vista seems like a bargain. am i wrong?
where do you live?

I'm in oregon. PE has a sale going to the end of the month. Priced three dealers within 50 mi. $1035, $950 and $850 was what I was quoted. Roben.

If you want to burn full time, super 27 all the way.

No question get the super 27 or the spectrum. (And insulate!)

The vista is just to darn small for anything other than the occasional fire IMO. Running that thing full time would be a major PITA. If your wanting some of your floor space back you made a good choice as Pe's got some of the tightest clearences in the bis.

Yes, the 27 seems the better way to go. If I set the stove back to min. wall clearance I'll have to go with an offset in the stovepipe. Will that cause draft issues?

Vista insert works just fine for us. House is wood frame/ full brick outside, fairly well insulated 1350 sq. ft. cape. It will not do an overnite burn, at best you might get 5 hours. It might be good to spend some money on insulation first, then the Vista might do the job just fine. Lots of people here are of the 'bigger is better' type, but a smaller stove burned correctly can do the job and do it a lot cleaner and more efficiently.

I didnt listen tot he guys in this room and went with the Vista Classic. Its a great stove but way too small. I wish I got the bigger one. I'm reloading it every few hours. Anyone want to buy a Vista Classic so I can get a Super 27? :)

Shoulda got a Summit :)

edited

Been burning the Super-27 for six years. I love it we go through 6-8 face cords a year and was worth the money. I think the blower is worthless. Get a good ceiling fan. The ash door was nice for the first year and after that we use a shovel and metal bucket. I have broken a couple briks so if you see them in the store, get a couple.

Eric

not sure if you live near many other humans or not, but i'd bet you could put it on ebay with an honest description and get really close to what you paid for it since we're looking at peak demand right now. also, have you asked the dealer if you could trade up to something bigger?

All the dealers I talked to said the vista is only good for about 4 hours. So I guess it going to be the super27. oregonrider.

Go with at least the Super 27 or the Summit. Having a bigger firebox is only going to make life easier for you. I have a Florida room, size 19 x 11, now 75% of the room is windows, good windows, but still windows. I went with the Summit and after 1 winter/spring, I have no regrets at all. I love the fact that I can heat the room to 85 if I want or if it is too hot open a window or shut the stove down and let the EBT (extended burn technology) do the work (EBT Found only on the Summit I might add). On really cold nights and days I love the fact that I have all the heat I need (and even then some). Plus the long burn times let you fill it up and forget about it. If you get the gold trim or the whore house red you have sharp looking stove

I bought the Avalon Pendleton for that room 2 years ago and it was not enough heat plus the small firebox was a nightmare. A nice stove if you use it occasionally and don't need long burn times. I am still a big promoter for Avalon but in my house the Summit fit better than the big Olympic Stove of the Avalon (an awesome stove too)

I should have bought stock in Pacific Energy, I love their stoves. They don't really need to advertise because their buyers spread the word for them for free!

So go big my friend, why not spend a little more and be happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.