Help me identify this insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smerc

Jan 3, 2018
Virginia
I have spent so much time on Google and cannot identify this stove or how to properly use it. There's no markings on it anywhere. Can someone please help me out? I want to find a manual or make sure I am using it properly. Thanks!

Here's the stove

Attachments

• 1515020434365330994567.jpg
    1515020434365330994567.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 168
I just saw a stove that looks similar (not identical) on craigslist. I've attached pics here of that stove, which is a Garrison IV.

Attachments

• 00U0U_dBwloPkQoX5_600x450.jpg
    00U0U_dBwloPkQoX5_600x450.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 00n0n_8dZQPH1NwI6_600x450.jpg
    00n0n_8dZQPH1NwI6_600x450.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 132
A manual from that time period won't give you proper installation procedures since codes have changed requiring the Insert to be directly connected to a liner. Make sure it isn't slid into the fireplace and using the larger chimney flue without being connected to an inner pipe all the way to the top.
The larger intake knobs are primary air for starting and getting lots of air into the Insert. The smaller ones help with air wash over the glass. Don't open the uppers too far when starting since the incoming air over the fire tends to rush up the stack, cooling the flue without getting oxygen to the fire. Once up to temp, it should work best with the small caps open more than the bottom. I don't see a damper control near the top, I'd look into that along with the connection to chimney.

Operation depends on the chimney more than the Insert. Using a large fireplace flue you would run it completely different than the correct size insulated flue. (much more primary air wasting tons of heat up the chimney) That could be why there is no flue damper if it was designed to use the larger fireplace flue.

Thanks for all the info! We'v had several successfully fires, but it doesn't seem to put off much heat unless it's been burning all day. Is that normal? And is it possible to have fires too big? Sometimes it shakes and rattles and the fires get huge.

The chimney inspectors said that it was installed correctly and the chimney is lined appropriately for the stove. I just still feel like I'm doing it wrong. My dad had wood stoves when I was a kid and those things would heat you out of the house. This doesn't do that.

Check it by closing the air dampers fully. It should go down to a glow with no flame and eventually go out if you left it closed long enough. If it keeps burning with strong flames you have a leak around doors or the air dampers are not closing fully. You should be able to slow it down by closing the air down more.
Is there a baffle plate inside, or can you see directly up the outlet into flue?
Depending on flue height and diameter you may need a flue damper if there is none.
I would measure outlet in stove and compare with liner diameter to be sure of what you have.
Removing the upper hearth cover plate should expose what you have connecting to flue.