Help me learn my trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lumbering on

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2012
New York
Three different tree types. No idea what I have. Help me learn?

1photo.JPG2photo.JPG View attachment 107106View attachment 107107
View attachment 107106View attachment 107106View attachment 107107

Attachments

• 3photo.JPG
    3photo.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 4photo.JPG
    4photo.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 5photo.JPG
    5photo.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 147
  • 6photo.JPG
    6photo.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 7photo.JPG
    7photo.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 8photo.JPG
    8photo.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 9photo.JPG
    9photo.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 140
1. Cherry
2. Possible white oak, but I think it is something else.
3. Black locust

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
3,4,5: I see medullary rays in 4, so Oak of some type.

6,7,8 is BL, I think. I don't know about 9.

More split pics might help....

Black cherry, Apple, Elm. Very hard to tell from pictures like this.

I see cherry, White oak and BL also.

3,4,5: I see medullary rays in 4, so Oak of some type.

6,7,8 is BL, I think. I don't know about 9.

More split pics might help....

Medullary rays? Wut dat?

I see
1) black birch
2) hickory
3) black locust

Off hand I would say:
1-2 cherry/plum
3-5 black oak
6-8 black or honey locust (could be red elm)
9 dunno... walnut or elm?

Reactions: Applesister
Cherry,oak, black locust. The longer you're around the wood types you will start recalling bark or what the centers of different woods are. Leaves help if they are there.
Look at willow and cottonwood and run when you see it==c

Cherry possibly Pin Cherry.
Oak possibly White or another one.
Black Locust for sure.

Get yourself a copy of the "National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees"-the best book I've ever found to help with tree identifying with great pictures of the bark, leaves, nuts, fruits etc.

Anyways, you have some good stuff there-the lowest of the three heat-wise will be the Pin Cherry but it'll still throw heat!

Reactions: ScotO
Medullary rays? Wut dat?
Light-colored lines radiating out from the center of the round, most visible in Oak, but sometimes they can be hard to see.

Medullary rays.JPG

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Get yourself a copy of the "National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees"-the best book I've ever found to help with tree identifying with great pictures of the bark, leaves, nuts, fruits etc.
Great ID book! The bark pics don't always help, though....

Great ID book!
It is a very good book. Note that there is both an eastern and western edition. It would be great if they added photos of cut wood. I'm not aware of any identification book that does.

Pin cherry looks exactly like plum. I have Pin cherries and cultivated plum. I also have wild plum that has naturalized from cultivated plum rootstock. They are both in Prunus genus. Both stone fruiting.
Pin cherry is also called fire cherry because it is considered a pioneer species. It is a very light wood in BTUs but burns clean. Plum takes forever to season. Like 3+ years. I have nothing solid to base this on but Im convinced plum absorbs atmospheric moisture from the air.
I have Black oaks here and the ratio of dark heartwood to sapwood looks similar to the pics. Also the "rays" are very visible on Black oak. In the case of these photos, the white on the bark looks like fungi and not naturally part of the tree.
The bottom pics could be locust. Im not as familiar with the barks on locust but the resinous wood in person is very distinguishable. Photos may be hard to ID but in person its easy to spot. Locust wood has a color that can only be locust.
You are gonna need the Pin cherry to get the oaks and locust wood burning.

Reactions: StihlHead
!st pics black birch scrape the bark does it smell like winter green?

Never noticed before, but they extend into the bark. :cool:
001_zpse39ca943.jpg

Reactions: Applesister
That cherry looks like choke cherry. In that last picture it looks like a couple ash in there too.

Looks like future warmth to me:) I have a hard time with a lot of wood ids myself Im going to have to check out that book that was mentioned sounds like something I could use.

Status
Not open for further replies.