Help my wife and I settle this. Pictures wanted of installed BK Princess insert and VC Montpelier in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

backld

Hearth Supporter
Nov 15, 2010
OHIO
I'm ordering a insert this week and I'm trying to decide between BK Princess and VC Montpelier. My wife wants the Montpelier and I want the Princess. Wife thinks the Princess is (gasp) Ugly, and she wants the Montpelier. I like the princess because of the cat and long burn time, but I'd have to agree the Montpelier is nice looking. I'm trying to heat the house, my wife is more about looks before function. She's the boss and if she has to look at what she considers ugly fireplace everyday, I'll be living in the woodshed :)

I would appreciate if you could post pictures of your install, both the Princess and Montpelier. I would really like to see some with stone around it as we will be adding stone to our rebuilt fireplace.

Thanks

Very different look and the princess extends a bit onto the hearth while the Montpelier seems to be a flush insert, but both look nice, IMO. Do a search and you will see quite a few, not only their promotional pics but some on here -
here's one on hearth of the princess:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/ind...3&tbnw=157&start=0&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

BKPrincess.jpg

and here's one on hearth of the montpelier
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/ind...&tbnw=83&start=31&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:31

index.php

Nice big huge window on the Montpelier, and good looking surround! But the blaze king burns forever and ever, supposedly, and that's gotta be nice!

I would avoid any VC product. Looks and function aside, the BK comes from a better company. If you can't get the BK then look at some other brand like Jotul or pretty much anything except a VC.

backld said:
I'm ordering a insert this week and I'm trying to decide between BK Princess and VC Montpelier. My wife wants the Montpelier and I want the Princess. Wife thinks the Princess is (gasp) Ugly, and she wants the Montpelier. I like the princess because of the cat and long burn time, but I'd have to agree the Montpelier is nice looking. I'm trying to heat the house, my wife is more about looks before function. She's the boss and if she has to look at what she considers ugly fireplace everyday, I'll be living in the woodshed :)

I would appreciate if you could post pictures of your install, both the Princess and Montpelier. I would really like to see some with stone around it as we will be adding stone to our rebuilt fireplace.

Thanks

What if you met in the middle and go with the Jøtul C 550 CB Rockland or the Alderlea T5 Insert. Both are larger than the VC so they will give you longer burn times, but they are still "pretty".

And remember, pretty doesn't keep you warm when it is cold.

Sounds like the choice is whether you load up the VC and head up to bed at night or load up the BK and sleep on the couch. ;-)

not sure if you can see the pic on the side.......it is a montpelier in biscuit, problem i have with the stove is i can't get longer than a 6 hour burn time.....i load at midnight and by 6 am the ehat is kicking on at 65 when wife is getting ready for work. works great but burn time leaves a bit to be desired. and i have tried burning at all levels, also i would go with something with a bigger firebox, after a good 6 hour burn and getting ready for the midnight load i cant typically fit more than 4-5 good size splits in it.......good luck

it is a good looking stove though, nd the glass is sufficient to really enjoy the secondaries............

BrotherBart said:
Sounds like the choice is whether you load up the VC and head up to bed at night or load up the BK and sleep on the couch. ;-)

:lol: Put another way--get the BK, and you won't be interrupted at night--either by a stove that needs reloading, or an amorous wife. :)

Well, I'm gonna speak as an experienced member of the "Sistahood", and say that I'd go for the BK. Longer burn times, etc. Work smarter, not harder, ya know :)

But, I will also say that there has to be some middle ground. When that VC doesn't cut the cake, who's going to be complaining?

Get the VC to make her happy. Put the furnace and all the ductwork on the curb. In my experience, two years later she will be overjoyed with the BK.

Not the greatest pic, and my hearth and mantel are not done yet..... but you get the idea. I love the look of my Princess.

IMG_0075.jpg

-Jay

My wife wanted an insert that was flush with the fireplace and was "good looking", so we selected the Jotul 550. It's been a good family choice. On my own, I might have picked a stove that stuck out into the room and could be used for cooking.

jboudreau said:
Not the greatest pic, and my hearth and mantel are not done yet..... but you get the idea. I love the look of my Princess.

-Jay

Thanks Jay,

That's lovely, and I really like that rock. Can you tell me the specifics of that product, source, etc?

Congrats!

SolarAndWood said:
Get the VC to make her happy. Put the furnace and all the ductwork on the curb. In my experience, two years later she will be overjoyed with the BK.

Get the BK, and if she's not happy put her on the curb. Do it right the first time.

daleeper said:
Do it right the first time.

That would have saved me a couple grand and a couple years of misery.

jboudreau said:

-Jay

I think this picture sold my wife. That looks great with the stone. Any info on the stone would be appreciated.

RenovationGeorge said:
BrotherBart said:

:lol: Put another way--get the BK, and you won't be interrupted at night--either by a stove that needs reloading, or an amorous wife. :)

Shoot, with an amorous wife why do I need the stove. We can keep eachother warm :)

After reading your comments and others on this forum I've decided against the VC, I'll either get the BK or the Jotul 550. I'm still leaning towards the BK and I think my wife is coming around. Especially if she can cook on it if needed. Anyone here cook on the BK?

I also have another question for BK owners. My current fireplace has a raised hearth that is about 1 foot high and 16 inch deep. According to BK I need 16 inches from the front of the door. Since the BK sticks out 13 inches What do I do? I will only have about 3 inches in front of my stove. In front of the raised hearth is oak wood flooring. Is it acceptable to get a hearth rug? Is this a deal breaker for the BK?

Differnt rules with the raised hearth, may have to post a new thread with that question to get an answer. One of the experts will let you know the rules.

If you really want to make heat with an insert, the PI will provide you will lots of heat and good long burns times. My family is amazed that it can heat the house with a couple of sticks of wood. It is very clean burning, the people on your street will not know that your burning wood its that clean!

The longest burn time I have gotten is about is 14 hours. When it really cold your gonna get about 6 to 8 hours of burn time and be able to keep your house warm. Its fire box is huge for an insert.

all I can say is it works for me!
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.