Help needed for alternative part to do my Mag test.....?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
What I need is the small brass fitting at the end of the vac hose... (Goes into the hole of a #8 bolt) Problem is, I have been to my box stores and hardware stores, auto parts....they all have this part, just not this size.
Soooooo, any other ideas besides ordering on-line? What about using copper tubing? Assuming I can find tubing that will fit into the #8 bolt hole and a way to secure it to the tubing, will that work? One slightly crazy idea that I had was to make the hole slightly larger...say to what ever the next size up would be from a # 8 bolt and that would accommodate the part that I got from Ace Hardware.....
Thanks, Bill

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 104
No reason you cant enlarge the original hole a bit. I just wrapped the tubing with a couple wraps of silicone tape and shoved in the hole as the test just takes a few seconds.

I didn't use any fittings at all. Used silicone tubing from the Dwyer gage to the stove, and just pressed the end of the tubing firmly over the hole to take the reading. If the silicone end is cut nice and square it will seal.

I didn't use any fittings at all. Used silicone tubing from the Dwyer gage to the stove, and just pressed the end of the tubing firmly over the hole to take the reading. If the silicone end is cut nice and square it will seal.
********Thanks, Bill L I guess I have never heard of Silicone Tubing! Where do I get it?????? Thanks, I like the idea that you can just press it up against the opening...Wowzer!

Thanks all...Bill

We have it at work, it is the same type of tubing for the air pumps on fish tanks, check at a pet store

Status
Not open for further replies.