Help needed please with a gas log set that goes out suddenly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mustanger

Dec 29, 2007
Herndon, VA
Hello. I have a vented gas log set that I'm having problems with (It's the Texas Bonfire model). I can get it to start usually by lighting the pilot, holding down the knob for about one to two minutes, then letting the knob up and turning it on. At that point it burns nicely for about 2 hours - and then goes out suddenly. Also, at times, I'm unable to even get the pilot to stay on even though I'll hold the knob down for about five minutes. I've replaced the thermocoupler a few times. Not sure why it keeps going out. I've also lit the pilot and let it go without turning the set on - just to see how long it will stay lit - it always goes out after several hours. I read something earlier that some models have a second sensor that will turn the unit off it gets too hot? It's driving me nuts! Any thoughts on what it might be? Thanks much in advance for any replies.

Could be your safety pilot is just doing its job. If a closed damper, blocked flue or atmospheric conditions are preventing the exhaust from your fire from venting properly, the firebox will fill with exhaust gases and the lack of oxygen will extinguish the pilot flame. This will happen more quickly when the burners are lit (more exhaust).

Thanks for the reply Tom. But it happens all the time - so I doubt it's due to atmospheric conditions. What would you suggest I do to attempt to fix it? First I assume I should check the damper and ensure it's open fully. But is it also possible to adjust the pilot safety? Thanks.

As Tom suggests, it could be that the set is overheating. I have seen this happen numerous times when the valve is too close to the side or rear of the fireplace it is installed into. First thing I would do is clear out any sand, embers and stuff from around and under the valve so that air flow can cool it down. The same heat could screw up your actual valve (for good!)....

Some sets even use a small piece of metal as a heat shield to help protect the valve.

Make certain that you don't have glass doors or anything else which impedes the air flow around the valve.

Clean the internal threaded area where your thermocouple attaches to the valve.

Make certain the pilot is properly hitting your thermocouple (just the top of it, further down will cause the unit to shut down).

If the pilot does not "hold" and takes a few minutes (as you said), that means something is very wrong and you should not try to fool it by holding it down for many minutes. If you cannot solve the problem based on this and other info, call a pro or the manufacturer of the set and/or valve.

could be overtemp , also could be ODS tripping from confined space if the unit is a vent free product, if ventfree, check the dimentions of the room , use this formula to determine if compatable with room size

lXwXhX100 /50>max btu

length X width X height X 1000 , divided by 50

total found by working this out MUST be higher than the max BTU output of the log set. if it is not then the room may not contain enough free air to support the unit. when oxygen level in room drops to 19.2 % the unit will shut down , pilot and all.

EDIT: ok re read, not vent free, sounds like the mag in the valve is weak or the t-coupler is not getting enough heat from the pilot to generate sufficient current to power the mag. its vital that the pilot flame stay in direct contact with the t-coupler to allow proper operation. possibly if th flame does not have enough strength to hold on the coupler , the pilot oriface may be obstructed, or the pilot adjustment may be too low, would be a job for a liscenced tech to tackle. hope this helps

Mike and all - I do see a screw that says "pilot" - I'm assuming that's the pilot adjustment screw? What does it mean to turn it to the right or left? Thanks.

mustanger said:
Mike and all - I do see a screw that says "pilot" - I'm assuming that's the pilot adjustment screw? What does it mean to turn it to the right or left? Thanks.

most likely is it , not knowing however the valve make it would be a guess as to which way is out. it would be better to have a tech do adjustments or at least gain info from someone who has specific knowlege of that set.

The unit I have is advertised as this: The MVVKNA safety pilot system offers the user a ready remote valve system with a standing pilot, a standard on/off rocker switch mounted on the side. This system can be used with most vented gas logs.

Status
Not open for further replies.