Help Needed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stymie266

Jul 23, 2009
SE Michigan
I posted this question before but got no replies. searched through the forums but didn't find a straight answer. I have a Heatilator ec 42 metal ZC fireplace. I have decided on the OSburn 1801 insert. What, if anything can be removed from the Heatilator? To fit an insert into mine it appears that I will have to remove the smoke shelf and some of refactory lining, placing the insert on the sheet metal. Is this acceptable?

The insert you are looking at is 19" high, it sits 15.25" into the firebox,and is 21.4" wide on the back side.It is not alright to remove any refractory.plus you can not cover any of the air vents with the surround as this is part of the cooling of the fireplace.Download the owners manual at Osburn's website it will answer most all of your questions. Page 5 will tell about ZC installs

I have an old heatform I installed my insert in with new liner. I cut the damper/smoke shelf metal out to allow the new liner to run straight down to the insert.
The 4 vents are now closed. All they do is allow cold air to flow into the home. With the insert and a new liner, you need not worry about the vents being needed for cooling any longer. As the original firebox is not going to see the heat it did now that the insert is installed.

Make sure your choice of insert is approved for ZC install.

The inserts we install (Quadrafire) have special instruction for prefab metal wood units. You can only remove the smoke shelf, pretty much nothing else. All refractories and heat shielding need to stay in place so the original fireplace maintains its originally tested clearances. Removing things like the refractories could allow heat to transfer through to the outside of the original fireplace more than intended.

As for the vents, for Quad inserts I believe it stats you can cover the circulating vents of the old prefab unit with the surround panel for the insert, but nothing else.

As for Hogwildz installation, it was into a "heatform" unit, totally different beast. More like a true masonry fireplace with a metal firebox and heat tubes.

You should consult the install manual for the stove you plan on getting for the best information. Also the dealer should be able to answer questions as well, they should be experts on the products they sell.... shouldn't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.