Help Please! My New Stove Has Scratches

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mszina

Aug 20, 2012
Idaho
A Pacific Energy Summit insert was installed yesterday when we were not home. When we got home, we noticed a very obvious, deep, and large scratch, down to the bare silver metal, on the ash lip. The scratch is on the front bend and is over one inch long. There is also a scratch on the bottom edge of the left control box mount. The installer wants to put some paint over the scratches. I do not think it is acceptable to purchase a brand new stove with scratches that are painted over.

What is the longevity of paint over a scratch? I am worried that the heat will cause the paint to come off or the paint may not match. Since I am paying over four thousand dollars (installation included), I want my stove perfect to start. If I wanted a stove with scratches, I would have had my husband install it! But even he would not have scratched it because he knows I would be upset by a new marred stove.

I need advice. Should I let the installer put paint over the scratch or insist he replaces the scratched parts?

I appreciate your help.

Reactions: ridemgis
The paint that they are talking about is a high temp paint and is used on stoves all the time. It will successfully cover the scratches. As far as the scratches go, that is up to you as the buyer. If you find it unacceptable to simply cover them - get with your dealer and start talking.

Hard to say how good a touch up will look. Ask for a replacement ash lip or if acceptable to you, a discount for accepting a touch up with paint.

Hard to say how good a touch up will look.

Absolutely. Depending on the depth and where -it could be a personal eyesore that you never get over. Maybe pics??

Having just been down the arduous road of having a very expensive stove delivered with defects, I offer the suggestion that you demand nothing short of perfection from you dealer. It's your money and you're entitled to get what you paid for in perfect condition.
PJ

Reactions: etiger2007
Perfection is an absolute, reserved for gods. Excellence however, is an attainable goal.

Reactions: PapaDave
Thank you for your responses. I've attached a picture. I'm paying over four thousand dollars for the stove and installation, so I really don't want a new, scratched stove. If it is acceptable to paint over the scratches, I may accept it. I need your expert options as to how the paint will hold up and last.

SummitScratches2.jpg

Stove paint.

Those scratches are nothing to worry or get upset about. You will probably add more than that in the first month of burning lol. In my opinion I would just touch it up.

Yeah. For those don't spray it. Put paint on a rag and rub it on. Let it dry and then rub some more on.

I think that will cover well with paint. Then you will also have the paint handy for the first time you smack your ash bucket into it.;lol

If I wanted a stove with scratches, I would have had my husband install it! .

apparently my wife lives in Idaho now and goes by the screen name mszina.:confused:

The scratches dont look bad at all to me. Im sure you can come to some kind of compromise/agreement.

What will probably help is putting a pic up of your entire insert and hearth so we can tell you how great it looks. :)

Thank you so much, everyone. I didn't know if touch-up paint could fix the problem. I will ask for the paint and rub it on myself so I know it's done right. I know we will scratch the stove in the future, but I didn't want the stove to arrived scratched.

The installer had to order a part for the flue because our flue is "unusual," and the part will take ten days to arrive. Last night we had two bats come into our house from somewhere in the chimney that apparently the installers left open. Needless to say, when my husband was chasing down bats, I was fuming over the scratches plus the bats!

Needless to say, when my husband was chasing down bats, I was fuming over the scratches plus the bats!

He,he - I can just picture this in my head (lots of open space). Naw...for real, kick back, grab a glass of red and let things settle down. You are not experiencing anything that is unusual (well maybe except for the bats;)).

Just keep in mind how warm that sucker is gonna make your piggies while sitting in front of it this winter. Its worth the hassle.

The installer had to order a part for the flue because our flue is "unusual," and the part will take ten days to arrive. Last night we had two bats come into our house from somewhere in the chimney that apparently the installers left open. Needless to say, when my husband was chasing down bats, I was fuming over the scratches plus the bats!

Does your 'unusual' flue have a stainless steel liner in it? If the $4k includes a liner install, that's pretty darn reasonable.

Two guys wrestling around with 500 lbs of steel and brick in your house isn't easy. I wouldn't be concerned with those scratches, especially if that is all that went wrong.

Definitely (it will keep my piggies warm). Our propane bill was $2,400 last year, hence the installation of the wood stove. We live in a forest, so the wood is free (red fir, lodge pole, tamarack). Collecting wood with my husband has been a wonderful diversion from working on my doctorate, so all is good.

We do get bats once in a while, but they usually come in when someone leaves the door open, not through the fireplace!

Thanks to all. I can chill out now (my husband thanks you, too). I'll post a picture when the installation is complete. :)

Reactions: jjs777_fzr
Yes, the 4k includes the steel liner. We're replacing a gas insert with an aluminum liner. And we have a two story tall house, with a tall chimney, so that's lots of steel. I feel the price is reasonable. The system should pay for itself within two years because our propane bill (force air) has been so high.

Of course, the cost does not factor in that my husband tore his ACL and meniscus while felling a tree! But that's another story ($3,000 deductible insurance). It seems we've got to pay one way or another. Choose your poison.

Ooooohhh, pics!:cool:
If the shop will give you a can of paint, you'll be good to go. You'll ALWAYS know those are there, but once the burning starts, it won't seem quite so important. You may need to do a touch up after a couple years anyway.
At least they're in less noticeable spots.
Since you mentioned gathering wood, can we assume (I know, bad) this has been going on for a while so the wood is DRY? If you hang out here for a while, you'll notice some of us preach the DRY wood mantra quite often. Newer stoves tolerate wet wood about as well as I tolerate my dog waking me at 3 in the morning.:mad:
Almost forgot, welcome to the Hearth.

Looks as if they scratched the hearth also...Don't worry, they did the same to mine...It's really a BIG machine so I didn't sweat it....Put you energy into GETTING YOUR WOOD NOW!..Just sayin...

We've already got 10 cords (a diversion from my doctorate, ha!). Half of the wood is already dry. We went to an area that was burned about five years ago. Our climate in the mountains of Idaho is very dry (lots of lotion for girls; guys don't care), so our wet wood is drying fast in the sun. I'm hesitant to have my husband go out and get more wood now with his torn ACL and meniscus. His surgery is at the end of October, then he definitely will not be able to get wood. But I think we're fine for this summer (an possibly next). We're go-getters.

Reactions: PapaDave
Thank you for your responses. I've attached a picture. I'm paying over four thousand dollars for the stove and installation, so I really don't want a new, scratched stove. If it is acceptable to paint over the scratches, I may accept it. I need your expert options as to how the paint will hold up and last.

Seeing the scratches now, I am not that concerned. They should touch up well. The real important thing is that they are not sloppy or careless with the liner installation.

We hired professionals who own a fireplace store, so I'm sure they will do an expert job. I don't believe in taking shortcuts when it comes to fire. My house is too precious. We know someone whose house burned down because the amateurs who installed his stove used two incompatible metals in the chimney that caused electrolysis. I'm not an expert, so I'm probably using the wrong terminology. The house burned down in about fifteen minutes.

Thanks to everyone for all your help. I feel much better now.

although I agree the installer should have left the installation in 'perfect' condition - those marks in the photo can be easily touched up
I know its tough just knowing its being covered up - but it will be good as new - as long as there is no dings or dents

Status
Not open for further replies.