Help, Please! with shipping options for heat reservoir

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
the great news is that fabrication of my 1350 gallon 409 stainless steel sectional/ modular heat reservoir has been completed, it is all strapped in its happy little flat panels on a big pallet, and is all ready to be shipped to me.

the bad news is that I'd been under the distinct impression that the company that did the fabrication for me (in the northern midwest) was, in their normal course of their work, also used to lining up and arranging the shipping-out of their products--

-- but apparently they are used to calling a customer and saying "FOB ready" and having the customer do all the footwork to arrange the shipping.

I don't know where the mix-up originated, and don't really even want to focus on that.

At this point, I want to get it from the northern midwest to my yard ( in Vermont ) as quickly and inexpensively as I reasonably can, while also wanting to be sure it's done by a company or individual who will take appropriate care of a big, custom, costly item.

Any suggestions on who to use for shipping or even how to look into options?

Many thanks!

I've looked into shipping items by truck. Do a google search for truck freight quotes. I think you can use www.freightquote.com. Put the numbers in and they can give you a quote on pickup, shipping, and drop off. You'll have to know things like the weight, volume, etc.. to get a quote. Keep in mind it could be cheaper having it dropped off at a commercial address, preferably one witha forklift. That may be your achille's heal if you don't have a way to handle it.

Mike

I have used freight quote in the past. Its best to call em. In these times you might get a better deal. The freight classification is the only stumper. To avoid a (hefty) lift gate charge angle some dock space nearby to you. Spiff the owner if you don't know them. There slow too. Then call a local tow truck (roll back) to bring it to your place.
Will

but apparently they are used to calling a customer and saying “FOB ready” and having the customer do all the footwork to arrange the shipping.

This means first that liability for loss and damage passes to you as soon as the trucking company accepts receipt of the shipment. Using one of the freight quoting companies or freight brokers does little to better insure that you get a trucking company that will handle your shipment with the care you want. Ideally you want the same trucking company that picks up your shipment to deliver it to you. If a problem, only one trucking company to deal with.

I would ask around your area at some companies you know who receive large shipments to get a recommendation on a trucking company to use from the northern midwest. Or ask the fabricator to ID for you trucking companies they use, have experience with, and might recommend to you. In the end, however, it's your problem.

BrownianHeatingTech said:
I've had good experiences with Land/Air Express, for what it's worth.

Joe

For some reason I hadn't thought to think of them even though I was once kind of acquainted with someone who was then part -owner; I have no idea if he still is.

thanks for the idea

Does the company you work for do any shipping? They may have 'corporate' rates in place with an LTL (less-than-truckload) carrier. I use ours all the time. I usually have the product shipped here to the plant and then bring in my truck/trailer to take it from here to home. You may want to check with your shipping department. I usually get my shipment in then take the freight bill to our transportation department and write a check. I know the rates that we get are a fraction of what they pay on the street, and the insurance is already figured in to the freight cost.

Huskurdu said:
Does the company you work for do any shipping? They may have 'corporate' rates in place with an LTL (less-than-truckload) carrier. I use ours all the time. I usually have the product shipped here to the plant and then bring in my truck/trailer to take it from here to home. You may want to check with your shipping department. I usually get my shipment in then take the freight bill to our transportation department and write a check. I know the rates that we get are a fraction of what they pay on the street, and the insurance is already figured in to the freight cost.

thanks for a good idea - but there'd be too many layers of duelling internal bureaucracies where I work

I think I have lined up a tentative solution of a less exhorbitant trucking option and a local friendly acquaintance with a receiving dock a half mile up the road from me ; hope to nail it all down today.

Status
Not open for further replies.