HELP- Potentially dangerous situation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McMatt

Oct 9, 2007
I'm probably overreacting but I need a little reassurance.

As if any wake up call on a Sunday morning planned to sleep in can be pleasant, last night I laid down by my wood stove to sleep seeing as it was raining, damp and chilly out. This is SOP around here.

This morning the ice storm caused the power to go out. Living here in the sticks that's not unique. Ten minutes later the power came back on and I was well pleased...and still half asleep. THe stove began feeding wood again, the fire restarted and all seemed well with the world. It was one less thing I had to deal with when shaking off sleeps bonds...leaving me more time to reset every clock in this shack.

Approximately a half hour later the power went out again. Goodness gracious, rats, Holy gee, sayeth I, or words to that effect. I began mentally composing a love letter to the power company asking why the folks in million dollar homes a mile away never seem to lose power and us denziens of Little Washington Road where the grass is green and the girls are pretty seem to lose juice when the humidity approaches 30 percent. It was a half hour ill spent but pleasurably enjoyed.

That's when the stove started acting up. At this point there was no electricity but the fire in the hopper was in the course of burning itself out. That's when the stove did something I have never seen before. It exhaled around the door gasket with a sound much like a sneeze That blew blackened ash out around the gasket onto that little tray in front of the stove. No combustibles hit the carpet but obviously I was on alert. It did that twice again, each time with the fire in the burn box flaring up momentarily. That got my attention. Fire extinguisher at the ready I opened the hopper lid to make sure the fuel was not on fire. It was warm to the touch but not hot. Enough smoke bellowed out of the hopper to set the smoke alarms to wailing causing me no end of consternation and alarm given I rarely wake up before noon on Sundays.

Enough white smoke was billowing out the chimney a neighbor stopped by to make sure all was well. Given our lack of options we stared at the wood stove, each armed with a fire extinguisher and a rare pre-noon beer. The embers in the burnpot went out, the electrical company resumed providing juice, and all seems well right now though given the amount of frozen precipitation I doubt that's long term.

This whole "stove sneezing" thing has me a little on edge. Is this something normal or is it indicative of a real bad problem?

OMG... I'm sitting here reading this, thinking that I'm glad I don't have a pellet burner that depends on electricity when suddenly the power blips, not once but twice. Freaky, like speaking of the Devil!

Get yourself a battery backup.

Moved to the pellet forum.

We also live in an area where power can fluctuate during a storm. This is a good reason to put a UPS system on the pellet stove. It will protect the stove from the radical voltage fluctuations and surges that can occur during intermittent outages.

It sounds like what happened was that the unburnt gases (smoke) filled the entire firebox, then suddenly ignited. This is called a puffback. Though startling, if the stove is put together well (all vent pipe screwed together) then although startling, the stove is probably ok. If this power fluctuation is frequent, turn off the stove until continuous service is restored.

I have mine on a UPS for computers 1500 watt (most likely an overkill) but if the power goes out, my stove has no idea we lost power. Living in NH losing power is a normal occurance so a battery backup is doing a great job here. It can support the stove for a several hours with this UPS. Good for almost all power outages and if I see the outage may be longer I can then do a graceful shutdown of the stove and bring it back up when the power is restored.

Thanks for the advice. I will say this whole 'puffback" thing isn't just startilng it caused my spinchter to slam shut like a steel rosebud.

Normally my stove is hooked to what I'd call a redneck backup system, a 31 series marine deep cycle battery hooked to a power inverter. It gives me enough time to resume normal operation or shut down the stove normally if it appears the juice will be awhile coming back. Shamefully that rig is out in the garage right now powering a boom box since it is early in the season. Time to set that to right. If PECO were to be the original source of juice we'd all still be burning coal and grawing mastadon bones for dinner...though in their defense they do seem to get thier bills out on time every month.

I guess my remaining question is this puffback abertation serious enough I should replece the gasket around the stove's hopper door before firing it back up?

"I will say this whole ‘puffback” thing isn’t just startilng it caused my spinchter to slam shut like a steel rosebud."

McMatt, your eloquence is hilarious!

I haven't been treated to this experience yet...the puff back, not the sleeping on the floor thing...

But it sounds to me like maybe the door gasket is worn or the door doesn't close tight enough? I don't think any kind of puff in my stove would be able to blow out through the door gasket, unless it was close to being able to take the glass out too.

Jim

How about the puff out the window air wash.

Just an FYI. I have my stove on a 1000 VA / 600 watt UPS, just for the purpose of shutting the stove down properly should the power go out. (We don't lose power often) The other night the power went out, I shut down the stove & all was well. About 12 hours later the power came back on & I turned on the battery & the stove. After about 10 minutes I heard the exhaust fan turn off. I came down stairs to see the stove off & smoking a bit. It would not turn back on. Three blown circuit board fuses later (& some help from the Hearth forum message board), I unplugged the igniter & the stove is working fine lighting it manually.

My thinking on the UPS:

My assumption is that when I turned the battery & the stove back on, the power blipped again with a low battery, the igniter drawing 400 watts & the exhaust fan & the auger motor also still drawing whatever wattage they normally draw. I assume this caused a low power situation which blew the igniter. The circuit board appears to be fine. So definitely, wait until the power is stable & the UPS is fully charged to turn your stove back on. (& buy a big UPS & a marine battery backup system! I have a marine battery on a backup sump pump which works great.)

Is it just me or what because I can't get past
where you keep referring to it as a "wood stove".

Glad to hear nothing serious happened tho!

It's never an overreaction if it means you don't burn the house down... More importantly though, you didn't spill the beer did you?!!!!!!

This ha
becareful said:
Try unplugging your stove from the outlet while it is in full burn. After a few minute if you see any smoke coming out of anywhere, you have an air leak. This only works if you have a straight out (no up draft piping). Remove your vertical piping down to straight out piping (no upwards draft). After disconnecting any updraft piping, if smoke is coming from the exhaust pipe in side your house, seal it again generously (forget how it looks) with 500 degree silicon smeard everywhere UNTIL NO SMOKE is inside your house. The point is to completely plug even pin holes. If you see smoke coming out around the door or ash pan, you need to replace the gaskets. If you have more than 3-90 degree elbows (even with updraft piping) in your piping including your clean out "T", most stove can't push this much air out of a 3" exaust. Then there are only two fixes, 1. (alot of work) repipe you stove) if possible to eliminate the 4th or 5th 90 degree elbow, (count a 45 degree as a 90 degree) if this is not possible then 2. repipe your stove (again very costly) with 4" piping. If any authorized dealer does work on your stove and finds ANY part/s need to be replaced, watch them constantly. Make sure all parts replaced come out of factory sealed boxes, or bags. Yes, some companies try to sneak in used parts (without you knowing it!) I have a P-68, I have learned the hardest way, and learned from experience (the hardest way)!
ppened to me too. So here is what I did:

All pellet stoves push out exhaust gases. If you have more than 3- 90 degree elbows (including “T’s”, and 45 degree fittings, you must pipe with 4” not 3”. The 3” can restrict your flow, cause burn problems, control board mal function, as can ANY inside air leaks. Many people don’t even know they have improperly sealed pipe or bad gaskets unless they do the test I previously wrote about. (My pipe is literally painted/ covered completely with high heat silicon), then the next straight pipe/ unplug test revealed smoke pouring out around the ashpan door. Once replaced, NO smoke leak! Again the test and smoke poured out around the glass front door. I replaced the gasket, NO more smoke. I also resealed the adapter pipe to exhaust (really smeared it completely). The next test at full burn, I unplugged it from the wall AND just a very very small hint of smoke, even after 20 minutes!. Anyone with more than 3- 90 degree elbows (include “T,s” and 45 degrees, inside and outside is not operating properly. No brand of stove can push enough exhaust through 3” pipe with alot of elbows!

zeta said:
Is it just me or what because I can't get past
where you keep referring to it as a "wood stove".

Glad to hear nothing serious happened tho!
I'm glad someone is on the same page as me. I was a little confused, thought he had some kind of hybrid stove. :question:

lass442 said:
"I will say this whole ‘puffback” thing isn’t just startilng it caused my spinchter to slam shut like a steel rosebud."

McMatt, your eloquence is hilarious!

Would you mind posting a picture of that. Thats one I can't quite visualize though it sure made me laugh.

might this also have been caused by outside wind gust blowing down the vent pipe, and creating smoke-back? also no mention of weather or not an OAK is installed. My guess is there is no OAK in this case.

Orange Crush CJ-7 said:
might this also have been caused by outside wind gust blowing down the vent pipe, and creating smoke-back? also no mention of weather or not an OAK is installed. My guess is there is no OAK in this case.
I'm new to this pellet forum all though I've learnt a lot, but can someone please tell me what this OAK is? OAK is installed, I just can't figure out what u guys r talking about, I might want one or maybe need one. :question:

Outside Air Kit. Combustion air from out doors, instead of from inside the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.