Help putting in wood burning insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLOOC1

Jan 7, 2008
MA-VT-RI
I have a Sierra model # 4700TE wood burning insert mfg. date 4/1997. The dealer the stove was bought at no longer sells Sierra or has any info on them. I can’t seem to get much help regarding setting up a stove with an oval flue collar. I do have the manual but it is vague. So I’m hoping that someone can help me locate what I need to properly install this insert.

Chimney height from damper to top is 20’…chimney has a 8” x 12” liner. The damper dimensions are 27” x 6”. The stove has a top mounted oval flue collar. The manual recommends 6” minimum for the chimney liner. The manual does state that the flue collar is an industry standard 8” oval & it does state that most 8” oval pipe will fit into it nicely. I would rather not have to use an oval liner & I would like to be able use a 6” round system.

Basically I’m trying to get an idea of what I need to get the insert up & burning. Can I use a 6” liner kit or do I need the 8”? Does it have to be oval? How do I get from the 8” oval flue outlet to a 6” round chimney liner? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I did speak briefly with Allen at Heartshearth & he was inindated with E-mails & phone calls & couldn't help me.

Thanks,

Eric

From what I've learned so far, it's best not to choke down the amount of exhaust. It was manufactured that way for a reason.

By the way, they do make oval flex liners that will just get past the damper, then you can transition to 8" round. Will eight inch round fit in the chimney? Why not use 8"?

They also make an oval to round adapter, if the existing chimney tile is 8", you ain't going to get an 8" round s.s. liner up there. 7" maybe 7-1/2" but that will be tuff.
Oval liner might work best for your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.