Help - small ZC fireplace dilemma - options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteD

Hearth Supporter
Jun 4, 2008
Here
Hi All:

Great forum. I have been lurking for a little while and finally got serious about trying to determine what I can do in terms of an insert, replacement fireplace, or hearth stove.

In a nutshell:

I have a 1993 Heatilator ZC prefab fireplace, model HD36B, GR4. I only have 19 1/8" of height for an insert, so I was checking into the smaller inserts and went to a local dealer today to discuss the Regency I1200.

My ZC fireplace has a panel saying that an insert cannot be used, but I was under the impression that in more recent times (since 1993), inserts that are OK to be installed in these ZC fireplaces had been developed...

To get to the point, this installer (they are pretty big in the area, I think - north of Boston) indicated that they do not install inserts into ZC units anymore that say it is not OK. They say they do not want to take chances and recently had an inspector in a local town reject the building permit to place an insert into a ZC fireplace.

After discussing for some time, I was left with the impression that replacing my cheap insert with a new efficient fireplace may be my best option (at about $5k for fireplace, liner and labor, with me doing the demo of the old brick surround.

I have a few starter questions:

1. What is the real deal with inserts in ZC fireplaces...does it really just come down to the AHJ?

2. Any danger of the insurance co. backing away after a fire, pointing to the plate on the ZC that indicated a panel should not be installed, even if the AHJ signs off? I am not going to take chances on this stuff and would rather spend more to be safe, although I want to keep as tight a budget as reasonable.

3. Can a new efficient fireplace heat well? They were recommending the Regency Z2510, or Regency R90 as options. They are rated at more BTUs than the very small inserts I could physically fit into the space.

I do not think I can go hearth stove for aesthetic reasons - the hearth would have to extend too far into the room to be practical.

Oh, yeah - this is a first floor install (living room) with open floor plan of 1,000 ft, another 1,000 ft upstairs, 300 feet downstairs in basement with radiant heat.

I will post some pics and detailed dimensions later.

Thanks,
Pete

OK, after some more searching, I did find this:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Convert_Prefab_Fireplace/

Man, I have spent many hours on this site and just discovered it has a wiki.

This site is huge!

Assuming that I go the new EPA fireplace route, how do I know how big I can go before I rip the old one out?

I searched the Heatilator site for the model listed in my previous post with no luck. I was thinking that I could use the old dimensions to scope out the size for a new one.

Pete

I was all set to go with a small insert in my ZC fireplace to. I even posted for suggestions. I shtopped by 2 retailers today, one said they do not install in ZC any more. I do not want to tear my fireplace up to fit a stove. I do not know if it is worth the risk of putting an insert in to a ZC. Ohter dealers will do it. I need to find another place in the house for a pellet or a wood burning stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.