HELP!!! THE STOVE BLEW ITS LID!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the manual,

The stove should never be burned with the draft damper completely open except
when kindling a fire or reloading the stove. Only at these times should the damper be
opened completely. It should be “damped down” or partially closed as soon as the fire
has been kindled, or if the stove is being reloaded, as soon as the fire has been reestablished.

I rarly ever use full air and if I do it's just a couple minutes to get the flame started, then it goes down to 1 or 2.

rottiman said:
Texas boy said:
BrotherBart said:
Just a "backpuff" sometimes called "woofing". Not enough heat or oxygen to ignite gases coming off the wood and all of a sudden they catch a lick of flame or pull air down the chimney and ignite all at once and since the firebox is full of gases at that point they explode all at once. Keep that sucker burning. Get it to cat temp with flames on the wood and then engage the cat to burn those gases.

Fun to hear in a stove with a flex liner because it "crinkles" all the way up the pipe when it happens. When it happens because you open the door and the air rushes in you lose a few eyebrows.

So, I don't have a defective stove? Just a defective operator? I'll for sure not do THAT again! That was far more agressive than mere puffing or woofing in my book and not anywhere near an "entertainment" grade experience. I don't know how long it will take for my heart to settle down!

And I thought you "TEXAS" boys were tough of heart..........................................!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a good one! :lol: Naw, now you don't understand. Our hearts are good and willing to help our fellow man any time. This ain't th'same!! It was my nerves! My heart had done stopped! :wow: but when that lid came up about three inches and shot out red hot carbon, glowing cinders and ash all over me, lots of things started revving up in a hurry! I was moving toward it to adjust the air and was only about 18" away and looking straight at it, when it blew. Carbon and hot cinders went clear across the room (about 20 feet) and I thought I was blinded for sure. Then there was the immediate thought of how to prevent the house from burning down while I couldn't see for a few moments there.

It was just after that traincar load of adrenaline hit that the heart had trouble settlin' down. I'm all better now however.

Status
Not open for further replies.