HELP -- Wife wakes me at 1am to say the stove is beeping?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

handymanCT

Nov 18, 2011
Southern CT
Yeah so my wife wakes me up at 1am says "hey your stove is beeping and why is it 76 degrees in here?"
Hmmm so I get up to check, after I say a few choice words, seems that the stove wasn't beeping but the SkyTech remote receiver was. You know that little black box that sits near your stove. So reading the instructions at 1am was not fun, but I found out that there is a THERMO- SAFETY feature built into this little device when the RECEIVER is operating where ambient temperatures exceed 130 F degrees it beeps and beeps, forever. Hmm interesting so this little box on the hearth 8 inches to the side of the stove is trying to tell me that its internal temp is over 130? really?
The rest of the story goes like this, it was about 9pm last night and I though it was a little chilly in the house about 68 or so, so I bumped the SkyTech thermostat up to 70, usually its set on 69. I also decided to bump the stove from heat setting 3 to 4, just seeing what the thing can do really it's still a little new to me. Anyway at setting 4 this thing can crank some serious heat! Did I mention that it's a blazing fire? Wow, so when I went to bed the Skytech thermostat said 70, I thought hmm 2 degree over shoot, it will turn off in an hour or so. Well at heat setting 4 I guess even though the Thermostat shut off, the stove was still dumping heat trying to finish its cycle to shut off. Actually when she woke me up at 1am it was still blowing hot air even though there was no fire.
And so this morning she wasn't happy, said she doesn't like to have the house at 76 when she's trying to sleep, says our HHO system used to drop back at night. So she then tells me that its stupid to burn pellets in the middle of the night when you don't need too. Okay so maybe valid points, but how can I admit that. hahaha
So what do I do? This GCI60 has a long shutdown cycle, I suppose I need to factor that into the temperature setting and figure that its going to climb another x degrees by the time the cycle ends. Anyone have any insight or ideas on what the best settings are?

Sleepless night in Connecticut

Keep the stove, sell the wife.

My wifey will wake up beeping if I forget to fill the hopper. At least what she says has to be bleeped out! ;-)

j-takeman said:
My wifey will wake up beeping if I forget to fill the hopper. At least what she says has to be bleeped out! ;-)

:lol: :lol:

I look at it this way, at least she isn't waking you up saying its freezing in the house!

SXIPro said:
Keep the stove, sell the wife.

I waited the whole day for someone other than me to say that......

handymanCT said:
Yeah so my wife wakes me up at 1am says "hey your stove is beeping and why is it 76 degrees in here?"
Hmmm so I get up to check, after I say a few choice words, seems that the stove wasn't beeping but the SkyTech remote receiver was. You know that little black box that sits near your stove. So reading the instructions at 1am was not fun, but I found out that there is a THERMO- SAFETY feature built into this little device when the RECEIVER is operating where ambient temperatures exceed 130 F degrees it beeps and beeps, forever. Hmm interesting so this little box on the hearth 8 inches to the side of the stove is trying to tell me that its internal temp is over 130? really?
The rest of the story goes like this, it was about 9pm last night and I though it was a little chilly in the house about 68 or so, so I bumped the SkyTech thermostat up to 70, usually its set on 69. I also decided to bump the stove from heat setting 3 to 4, just seeing what the thing can do really it's still a little new to me. Anyway at setting 4 this thing can crank some serious heat! Did I mention that it's a blazing fire? Wow, so when I went to bed the Skytech thermostat said 70, I thought hmm 2 degree over shoot, it will turn off in an hour or so. Well at heat setting 4 I guess even though the Thermostat shut off, the stove was still dumping heat trying to finish its cycle to shut off. Actually when she woke me up at 1am it was still blowing hot air even though there was no fire.
And so this morning she wasn't happy, said she doesn't like to have the house at 76 when she's trying to sleep, says our HHO system used to drop back at night. So she then tells me that its stupid to burn pellets in the middle of the night when you don't need too. Okay so maybe valid points, but how can I admit that. hahaha
So what do I do? This GCI60 has a long shutdown cycle, I suppose I need to factor that into the temperature setting and figure that its going to climb another x degrees by the time the cycle ends. Anyone have any insight or ideas on what the best settings are?

Sleepless night in Connecticut

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!! You solved a mystery for me!! I installed a remote for a customer adn we both up and lost the paper work and his is beeping too....I was scratching my head cause I have never had this happen before. Thanks again!

It seems that the cast iron holds alot of heat for a long time....

Nice! :D

If my wife wakes me up in the middle of the night, it better be worth my while! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.