Help with capped fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EmiM

Aug 20, 2019
Ny
Hi all.. I am looking to purchase a home with a fireplace. I had then inspector out and he said the fireplace is capped. How much do you think it would cost to uncap it? Is it something I can do myself? I appreciate any direction. Thanks.

Attachments

• 10468.png
    10468.png
    674 KB · Views: 171
This will needs eyes on site to remove the cap and inspect both the chimney and fireplace to determine the cost. If the chimney system is badly deteriorated and the repairs are extensive it's unlikely this is a DIY project. At this point there isn't enough information to determine this. Get a certified sweep to check it out and ask if installing an insulated liner and insert in the fireplace is an option.