Help with chimney draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right you are Trebek.

oldspark said:
I first read about this happening many years ago and have seen it first hand, if you are getting a direct wind current fighting the draft I am not sure who' going to win. Look at the way the chimney is placed and the direction the wind is coming from, looks like a problem to me.

Agreed, it looks like the wind blowing against the roof there may be creating a local downdraft. Anything that can improve draft, even slightly will help. That could mean eliminating horizontal run(s), 90 deg turns, sealing every joint and connection, insulating liner and pipe, etc..

BeGreen said:
oldspark said:
I first read about this happening many years ago and have seen it first hand, if you are getting a direct wind current fighting the draft I am not sure who' going to win. Look at the way the chimney is placed and the direction the wind is coming from, looks like a problem to me.

Agreed, it looks like the wind blowing against the roof there may be creating a local downdraft. Anything that can improve draft, even slightly will help. That could mean eliminating horizontal run(s), 90 deg turns, sealing every joint and connection, insulating liner and pipe, etc..
OK, I thought you wanted to go after the wind current thing first, so if he had a super good draft it would overcome the down draft from the wind?

Well, I am assuming that they don't want to relocate the stove or relocate the chimney. They've already spent a lot of money trying to fix the problem with poor results. I'd rather get the smaller, less expensive possibilities covered first. In the meantime I have been revisiting some of the specialty wind caps to see how they might deal with cross-drafts.

Cap those passive vents off. Its free. I'd get up in the attic if you can and stuff some rags in the vents. I'd do bothe sides if they are on the other side of the house. As wind blows over the ridge it will create a vacumm on the lee side and pull the some down. I wouldn't leave them in there but if it solves it you can look at options to fix it. I have a turbine fan on each side of my home. Nice thing about those is they will lowered the attic bedroom by 20 degrees when I installed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.