Help with choosing and installing chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cabinner

Aug 2, 2013
NY
I want to install my englander 17-vl next weekend..

I will use the excellent advice I received for how to connect it to the roof but I need to start ordering chimney parts for it.

I will go through the roof and I also need to install that air vent kit for it.. My space is tiny - 12' x 12' with 13.5 ceiling. I believe I want a double wall chimney in black.... But I'll listen to ANY suggestions

Can someone outline all the parts I need and any other notes I should keep in mind when installing? This will be my first stove installation.

Also, where to buy...

The parts needed will vary with the pipe mfg. You'll want to stick with one brand all the way. M&G has good instructions on how to install their pipe located here under the Literature tab:
http://www.duravent.com/Product.aspx?hProduct=1

Make up your list based on their diagrams. We can review. A few shots of indoors, the path of the pipe and the roof will help us see what you are seeing. Then give Sean a call at www.dynamitebuys.com and email him your list with a request to verify the order is correct. He's pretty helpful too. Or pick up the pipe at a local shop or big store like Menards, etc..

I have a low pitch cathedral ceiling with 2x6 rafters. I just want to go straight up. I believe my stove needs a minimum of 15' of chimney. That will also satisfy that 3-2-10 rule for me...

I don't think I need anything special... It will just go straight up through the roof.. Can you help with list of items or do you need more info?

It is not that simple, parts will be brand specific. This is particularly true for the connection from the interior double wall to the cathedral support box. Pictures will help a lot as well as dimensions. For example what is the distance from the floor to where the pipe goes through the roof? What is the roof pitch? Where in the roof will the penetration occur, etc.. Did you download the M&G installation manual?

Here's a basic diagram of the chimney parts.
simpson_cath.JPG

On that stove you can actually have closer clearances with single wall pipe, just something to keep in mind, it would save some money.

I have a low pitch cathedral ceiling with 2x6 rafters. I just want to go straight up. I believe my stove needs a

I'm all for saving money..... Thanks webby.

I read that manual a bit.. Not sure what I need.

I know approximately where the roof is from the stove... And I saw that there is piece of pipe that can be adjusted.. It is about 10ft from the stove.

The ceiling with be penetrated between the joists...

I really want to try and get the ball rolling with this. How about you tell me how you would install it so even someone like me, a first time installer, can do it correctly?

I'll order what you recommend.

Roof pitch determines the flashing. You are going to be bummed if we guess the roof pitch incorrectly. Take some pics and post them here.

From the stove go straight up with single wall stove pipe. Get 22 gauge pipe and make sure to get a section that is made to slip inside of another section of pipe. This will have to come from a hearth store most likely.

Then at the ceiling you will need a cathedral ceiling support and the proper stove pipe adapter.

From the the box up will all be Class A chimney. Make sure to pull the shingles back and put the flashing under the shingles. The only part that should be on top of the shingles is the tail of the flashing. Right on top of the flashing will be the storm collar, and don't forget to seal between the pipe and the storm collar with silicone.

Roof pitch determines the flashing. You are going to be bummed if we guess the roof pitch incorrectly. Take some pics and post them here.
They come from 0-6 and then from 6-12 pitch. If you can walk on it easily it's most likely 6 or less. There is an app for that!;lol

Reactions: begreen
My roof pitch is 4/12.... I had a great thread where I was explained how to flash the roof for it as well as what part to buy... Now I just need to purchase everything.

I spoke with a company online and they quoted me $900 for all the parts I need with free shipping. Duravent pieces.

Problem is that by the time I realized that this will be my weekend project - I couldn't order and have it on time.

I then started calling around to see if a local store will carry all that I need. I found a dealer through ICC - http://www.icc-rsf.com/

He made a list of all the parts and quoted $1300.. for everything.

Do these prices seem normal?

Yes, online prices are often hard to beat due to volume sales. Also, ICC is a premium priced product of excellent quality.

Wow... I'm torn. This is a weekend gateway cabin. 12ft x 12ft..

Btw- venting pipe. Com is very unhelpful. They have nice girls who pick up but no nothing on what one needs for installation. So if you know what you need - great. If you don't. .. No help.

From the questions I heard I give the same info - cathedral ceiling, 4/12 pitch, about 10 ft floor to ceiling where I'll penetrate, and 13ft Ridge. So... You think you can make recommendations on what I need from venting pipe? Just want to see if I should postpone this project

Lowes
Item #271993
#37620 or 37621 depending on the amount you need to meet the 2-3-10 rule
+ connector pipe (I would buy 22 gauge elsewhere).

Yes, you must stick with one brand for the whole system unless single-wall is used for the connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.