help with choosing fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hadman

Dec 23, 2015
MD
Hello all,

I have a Monessen bc36 fireplace. It is rated UL127/ULC-s610. The manual is here http://literature.mhsc.com/monessen/manuals/7412944_BR_BC_27.pdf. The home was built 2 years ago with a stainless steel liner.

I was wondering if there was an efficient insert that would fit inside of this firebox with its rating? Below is the picture of the fireplace.
fireplace.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Read page 2 of the manual
"Do not install a solid fuel burning insert or other products not specified for use with this fireplace"

So no there is not an insert that can go in that fireplace

Reactions: edge-of-the-woods
As mentioned in the other thread. Putting a freestanding stove in front of the fireplace with it venting to a liner in the chimney is a possible option, though mantel clearances could be an issue.

Read page 2 of the manual
"Do not install a solid fuel burning insert or other products not specified for use with this fireplace"

So no there is not an insert that can go in that fireplace

I could be wrong but I think that is just saying that I cannot install things that are not specified with the fireplace. I do not think it is saying that nothing works with it.

I found a great related thread here:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...e-insert-for-zero-clearance-fireplace.104202/

I could be wrong but I think that is just saying that I cannot install things that are not specified with the fireplace. I do not think it is saying that nothing works with it.

I found a great related thread here:
if you can find a list of inserts that are allowed then yes you could do it. Call Monessen but I would bet they will tell you there are none.

Is Monessen even selling any wood burning products these days?

Just wanted to update everyone. I called Monessen and they say I cannot put any wood burning fireplace insert into the box

Reactions: bholler
A rear venting stove could be put in front if it is connected to a full liner. Or perhaps there is another area in the house that could accommodate a freestanding stove.

A rear venting stove could be put in front if it is connected to a full liner. Or perhaps there is another area in the house that could accommodate a freestanding stove.

Thanks. I did some research and, based on the rough opening I have, I am thinking of ripping out the firebox and installing a Flame Monaco XTD ZC. The rough opening size fits.

http://www.build.com/flame-fl-063/s794061?uid=2046758

I am trying to figure out how difficult it is to take out the old firebox.

Sometimes it's a bit easier removing it from the rear. Otherwise it will mean removing the mantel to get to the original fireplace framing. Most likely the chimney will also need to be replaced. I think the Monessen may have SK8 pipe which is lower temp rated.

Sometimes it's a bit easier removing it from the rear. Otherwise it will mean removing the mantel to get to the original fireplace framing. Most likely the chimney will also need to be replaced. I think the Monessen may have SK8 pipe which is lower temp rated.
It really is not to hard to take most out the front without disturbing the face i have done a few that way. you just take everything apart and bend it down to fit out the opening. You will need to cut a few peices but most just bend in half and come right out. But yes out the back is easier if it is an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.