Help with class A

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillsWS

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2011
U.P. Michigan
Hello. Do you know of a brand of class A that uses a clamp/screw on ring to support the first piece of chimney in the ceiling box? I'm not sure if that is clear, but I thought I saw a ceiling box where the class A chimney could be extended below the ceiling box by the placement of a ring clamped and/or screwed to the first piece of chimney pipe. We are thinking that set-up might work in our situation but I can't find the site I had seen it on.

That sounds like Selkirk Supervent with a cathedral ceiling support box. What is the problem you are trying to solve Bill?

BeGreen, I am trying to solve how to support 30 ft. of chimney above a T while keeping the top of the horizontal part of the T approximately 6 - 7" from my ceiling.

Attachments

• Thingy.jpg
    Thingy.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCN0427.jpg
    DSCN0427.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 191
  • DSCN0423.jpg
    DSCN0423.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 210
You can use a metalbestos RSK kit. That will allow you to hang a class A tee inside of the room. Just use a Metalbestos trim collar to trim out the hole. I'd say a good majority of hearth shops sell these components. I'd call around the local ones, find out who sells metalbestos and ask them if they have a part #RSK or 6T-RSP (Basically an RSK preinstalled on an 18" of class A)

Once you see this item in person, you'll find it is exactly what you need.

That is a roof support system. Can it also be used on the bottom end? Won't there need to be a firestop there, and at each floor penetration? I'm wondering if Security's floor support would be a better solution?

With that corner location it's going to be important to watch clearances. The class A will need a minimum of 2" from any combustible. Double-wall pipe 6", single-wall 18".

Attachments

• security support.jpg
    security support.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 143
Yup, I verified with Metalbestos and they sent me documentation that the roof support can be used in this manner. You use a metalbestos trim collar on the ceiling side and a firestop at the top side.

Status
Not open for further replies.